Re: Power User Can't Install Software

From: x y (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 01/25/03

From: "x y" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:06:10 -0500

Agreed. If you use REGEDT32 to look at the permissions on HKLM or Windows
Explorer to look at the permissions on windowsroot\system32 and you'll see
Administrators and not Power Users have write permission. Possibly enabling
auditing to see what permissions are missing and changing the permissions in
the necessary location might help you install some applications
successfully, but this is probably not the best solution for all apps
[installing with some method that gives administrator privileges is probably
best].

The Runas command might be one possibility, though this may not be 100%
secure and could cause a security vulnerability.

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#auditing
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#runas

"Ralph D. Worgul" <rworgul@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Mac,
>
> this is by design. Users will only be able to install apps that work
> strictly within HKEY Current User (don't quote me on that however).
>
> In order to allow user to install apps you will have to create a GPO see
the
> explanations on the following Computer Configuration/administrative
> templates/windows components/windows installer and in here Always install
> with Elevated Privileges (has to be done for User Configuration as well)
and
> Enable user control over install.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Ralph D. Worgul
> "Mac" <akaboats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > W2K Pro user in Power User group can't install software
> > like they are supposed to be able to do. Can someone give
> > me step by step how to enable this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mac

Relevant Pages

  • Missing Configuration Tool in 2.0 Redist
    ... The .NET Configuration tool was ... is to install the complete SDK. ... ..NET 1.1 had very granular control of permissions. ... Power users and administrators. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: Registry permissions defaults
    ... Home does not recognize user groups other than Administrators and Users, ... >I am trying to install Norton AV Pro on my father's Dell Inspiron 8200 w/ XP ... > error which is essentially caused by the Symantec registry keys not having ... > permissions for a number of registry keys, comparing both Inspiron's, as ...
  • Registry permissions defaults
    ... I am trying to install Norton AV Pro on my father's Dell Inspiron 8200 w/ XP ... error which is essentially caused by the Symantec registry keys not having ... permissions for a number of registry keys, comparing both Inspiron's, as ... Administrators and SYSTEM. ...
  • Re: More before-the-fact advice for 2K and XP?
    ... neither ActiveX nor BHO require Admin permissions to ... given that non-admins have a significant amount of control over ... "Would you like to install the ... With executable white listing, the app doesn't just ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Creating a Restore Disk Image
    ... told me that I needed to run the Disk Utility by booting from the OS X ... That is true if you are repairing the disk, but repairing permissions is ... supposed to be done while booted from the hard drive, not the install ... anything explaining how to use Repair Permissions. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)