Re: hardening W2k machines

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 12/25/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 10:49:30 -0500

IMHO it's best to harden any computer as soon as possible. However, you can
certainly harden it any time you want.

Drawbacks to hardening a computer or server after it has been put into
production use are 1) it is painfully noticable if any of the hardening
templates or procedures causes a service or server to stop working as
expected, and 2) the server or computer might already be hacked, in which
case hardening it is not going to make it secure.

"A. Tolga KILINĒ" <kilinc@tis.havelsan.com.tr> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a very basic question. I have a W2k domain with W2k servers and
> Professionals and DC's. After installation can I perform all kind of
> hardening process centrally? (I mean with templates, group policies) or do
> have to consider some issues during installation process, which can not be
> configured as post-installation configuration? Can you classify the steps
> as "during installation" and " anytime after installation" ??
> Regards,
> tolga

---