Re: Age of Mythology game requires admin rights !

From: Jim Nugent (nuge@execpc.com)
Date: 12/19/02

From: "Jim Nugent" <nuge@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:25:31 -0600

Did the error message specifically say that to play you needed admin
privileges? If not what DID it say? Usually these things can be corrected,
and are either an artifact of the fact that the game was installed by the
adminitrator or a file permissions problem arising because the sw doesn't
understand where Windows 2000 expects a program to store its files.

What, exactly, did it say?

--
Jim
"Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."
"Bob Warren" <bob-warren@veriserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I have just installed Microsoft's Age of Mythology game on
> a Windows 2000 SP3 machine for my son to play.
>
> I installed and tested the game as administrator.
>
> When I login as a user, even as a power user, the game
> refuses to play because it requires administrator rights.
>
> This is insane!  It is a game for my son to play. I am
> reluctant to give my son admin rights because that is only
> one click away from turning off parental control, virus
> protection, etc.   I trust my son not to do anything
> stupid or deliberately harmful, but with admin rights I
> cannot stop him unwittingly causing damage to all users of
> that machine.
>
> Please could as many of you as read this, who might be
> able to help, advise me on what course of action I should
> take.  Do I complain and to whom? Is there a patch or a
> special setting that I can use?
>
> TIA
>
> BobW

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to survive Oblivion
    ... I'm actually finding his posts quite humorous, although not in the manner he intends;) It somewhat reminds me of comments my 5 year old son makes as he learns to play alongside me, although he doesn't seem to be struggling as much as the OP. ... Yet he can't play any game whereby he has to invoke any kind of brain power or lateral thinking. ... He's currently designing a machine that will lift cars into houses through their roofs, so his technical aspirations are at least on par with the OP. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)
  • Re: No trades - Whats that mean for the Mets
    ... Church as protection for other hitters, ... Binghamton for the game, he had 2 doubles. ... Fernando Martinez was there but did not play (he warmed up ... My son and I got ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.ny-mets)
  • Age of Mythology game requires admin rights !
    ... a Windows 2000 SP3 machine for my son to play. ... I installed and tested the game as administrator. ... refuses to play because it requires administrator rights. ... It is a game for my son to play. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: My sons ball game
    ... Some kid got an unassisted triple play against us last ... My son in TX coaches a team of 8, ... The game just kills ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Re: Being a Sprots Parent Can be Tough
    ... lost his starting 'job and now only gets a handful of minutes a game. ... So his replacement will be moving on and your son will be a senior? ... but your son has another year to play. ... Encourage him to keep his head up, make the most of the playing time ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)