Re: Adding XP Pro client to W2K server

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 12/03/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:48:29 -0500

"Jeff Katz" <jkatz@whalingcity.com> wrote in message
news:047201c29ad6$bb1f1350$cef82ecf@TK2MSFTNGXA08...
> We just added the first XP Pro client to our Win 2000
> network (with active directory). The XP Pro client has an
> application that modifies it's registry when running and
> works fine when using the local machine domain. When the
> XPP client logs into the W2K domain, I believe that the
> server's policy security takes over and locks the client's
> registry. How do I open up the security on a local XPP
> client?

AFAIK this isn't really the case. With Windows 2000 domain you have the
option to use Group Policy on the domain to roll out changes to the local
computer policy and registry, but this is optional, and you can also use
permissions on the policies in Active Directory to prevent a policy from
being applied to certain computers. [e.g. you can deny workstation X the
permission to read or apply that policy] You still have registry changes
coming in from multiple locations being applied in a specified order at
recurring intervals, so nothing is permanently locked.

Relevant Pages