same file repeatedly disappears under ntfs on a win2k server w/ sp3

From: Eric Becker (ericbecker33@hotmail.com)
Date: 12/03/02

From: "Eric Becker" <ericbecker33@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:40:39 -0600

I have one windows 2000 server on a network I support. Basically it just
authenticates logons and acts as a print and file server. I have one excel
file that keeps "disappearing" on this server on its only network share. I
enabled "audit object access" locally on this server and then changed the
auditing properties of that file so that it would audit everything that
everyone does to this file. 4 hours after I change the auditing properties
of this file, it disappears again. I check the security event log and I see
numerous events stating that people were reading and writing to the file,
but no where does it say that the file was deleted. I know it should show
SOMETHING in the event log when the file is deleted because I can delete it
manually/locally and the event log shows that it was deleted. Can someone
shed some light onto how or why this file keeps disappearing...or how I can
stop it from disappearing? Since I can't find this file, I have to keep
pulling older versions from backup.

I did try and remove the ability for this file to be deleted, but everytime
I do that the users don't have the ability to make changes to the file. Is
there a way I can change the permissions so that the users can read/write
but not delete the file?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: What are the best general things to do after a dirty shutdown (Server SBS)
    ... Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Best Practices Analyzer ... After that, please post any event log errors, just the EventID# and Source names, not the whole error message. ... error 15100 Win32 Error 15100. ... One is indicating it can't retrieve info about the System log. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: What are the best general things to do after a dirty shutdown (Server SBS)
    ... test network connectivity to local domain controllers. ... Directory Server Diagnosis ... Verifying that the local machine ALPHA, ... The File Replication Service Event log test ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: What are the best general things to do after a dirty shutdown (Server SBS)
    ... Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Best Practices Analyzer ... After that, please post any event log errors, just the EventID# and Source names, not the whole error message. ... (Event String (event log = Directory Service) ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Server2003 2008 error !!
    ... Remove the x.x.1.x form the NIC of the DCs and configure it as a FORWARDER or use directly the ISPs DNS server as Forwarders in the DNS server properties in the DNS management console. ... On the 2008 make sure the internal firewall is not blocking AD replication, by default the firewall is enabled ion 2008. ... The event log File Replication Service on server ... EventID: 0x000003EE ...
  • RE: Word 2004 files disappear when saved on network
    ... We are running Office 2004 on OS X and Novell Netware 6.5. ... save files to the file server, ... > X reported that files were disappearing when they were saved on the network. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)