Re: NULL session disabling

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k@excite.com)
Date: 12/03/02

From: "Karl Levinson [x y] mvp" <levinson_k@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:56:30 -0500

"Onřej Ševeček" <ondrej.sevecek@centrum.cz> wrote in message
news:OQIHi1lmCHA.948@TK2MSFTNGP10...
> Hello,
> is it possible to disable NULL session logon (ANONYMOUS LOGON)??? Or it
> must be enabled first???

It is possible. It is enabled by default in Windows 2000. Search
www.microsoft.com/support or www.google.com for the word RestrictAnonymous.
Set this registry value to either 1 or 2 [2 is more secure, but is not
appropriate for computers that are domain controllers].

While you're at it, here are some other things that you should also consider
doing to secure your computer:

http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#firewall [www.sygate.com is free]
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#antivirus [www.grisoft.com is free]
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#harden

Relevant Pages

  • Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk
    ... Anyone who has been working with computers for a long time will have noticed ... because DNS does not configure properly or security permissions are relaxed ... Is It Also Secure ... guarantee that no one really knows for sure, not even Microsoft developers. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Hlp - DB security mystery
    ... One of the other computers has as well, ... I triple checked the mdw and the Users group has NO ... to secure, including creating a brand new mdw. ... The database in on a network share to which only my group and I have access. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)
  • Re: Final Year Project Brainstorming
    ... I think a project that contrasts the security of Ubuntu and Windows ... computers were very old so they were told they would have to purchase new ... money to get new computers at a lower cost, install ubuntu, and secure the ... Figure the cost of IT person for Vista vs ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Network Hacking
    ... respect the rights of others, or else you risk getting your rights taken ... You don't have to hack into live computers to learn how to secure ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Some Kudos for Dell
    ... Most of the computers I service in small offices were bought at ... compared to Windows, unless you happen to have some really really new or oddball ... soft firewall can do to protect against unwanted outbound traffic, ... problem in a fairly secure system. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)