Re: Sales guys that need to run Server OS - Impact on Domain?

From: Scott Townsend (scott@-NO-SPAM.serra.com)
Date: 10/07/02

From: "Scott Townsend" <scott@-NO-SPAM.serra.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:27:36 -0700

Thank you all for your ideas. I'll bring them up with my team and see what
we can come up with...

thanks again!
  Scott<-
"Robert Moir" <robert.moir@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Scott Townsend" <scott@-NO-SPAM.serra.com> wrote in message
> > How do you prevent them from installing other Server Services (WINS,
DNS,
> > DHCP, etc) while still allowing them to install the software they are
> > demoing?
> >
> > They would still need the ability to install software and patches on the
> > machine, though I dont want them to beable to install other Windows
> > services. We usaully put the i386 Directory on the C-Drive incase they
> > need something when they install their software, or when we do updates.
We
> > could take it off, but I wouldn't put it past some of them to get a copy
> of
> > a Server disk somewhere...
>
> Well as Keith alluded to, if you honestly can not or do not trust these
> people at all but have to give them servers with admin rights then you've
> got a serious problem. And while we're happy to bat ideas and solutions
> around in here all day cos that's what we do here, technological solutions
> are not always a good fit for non technological problems.
>
> Again, having a server on one's desktop doesn't have to compromise the
> network itself in the least. I'm repeating Keith again, sorry, but from
the
> "locking down users on the domain" point of view it's not much different
> from a workstation. If your concern is that you need to let them
effectively
> admin the local server, but you can't trust them with the ability to trash
> the systems then you've got two opposite goals that you need to balance
here
> imho and that's a strategic problem as much as it is a technological one.
>
> Rob Moir

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New Event Log Errors!
    ... Somehow along those lines I'd also installed the Certificate Authority ... Did you apply the last Server Pack for SBS Server? ... Please install Windows Support Tools on the win2k3 sp1 problematic ... Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cannot activate SBS 2003 SP2
    ... everywhere and sitting on the case of the server is the old board - balanced ... slip stream SBS you would have had it ages ago. ... My main reason for slipstreaming the install is because I cannot get ... updates that need to be applied if one is to have a succesful outcome ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cannot activate SBS 2003 SP2
    ... everywhere and sitting on the case of the server is the old board - balanced ... slip stream SBS you would have had it ages ago. ... My main reason for slipstreaming the install is because I cannot get ... updates that need to be applied if one is to have a succesful outcome ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cannot activate SBS 2003 SP2
    ... the old array was a raid 5 that should not have become so rooted but the twit who built the server did not actually enable the spare drive to act as a spare!! ... The problem is SBS is unique and I've rarely if ever seen it work. ... The server has been chugging away in a small business environment for several years and I have administered it for them for about a year making sure that the updates were installed and their mailboxes were managed etc etc. ... My main reason for slipstreaming the install is because I cannot get the original 2003 server install to cope with the new hardware and it falls over part way into the install - BSOD bit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • unsubmit
    ... Using a development server also [Roberto ... Can't find cable Internet connec [Roberto ... You can fix that manually by 'apt-get install ... > development machine, so if the production server goes down, we can ...
    (Debian-User)