Re: security on iis 5 open port router

From: Jeff Cochran (jcochran)
Date: 08/06/02

From: jcochran at naplesgov dot com (Jeff Cochran)
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 12:59:12 GMT

>> If security is your major concern,
>
>What do you mean "if"??? If you are connected to the internet then
>security is always the main concern.

If security actually were your main concern, you wouldn't be
connecting to the internet, would you?

Secuirty is not an absolute, it's a balance between what is desired
and what is needed. You desire full protection, but you need to allow
others access. So you balance the risk with the reward.

> Obviously no software is perfect, but IIS does seem to
>be worse than most.

Software is never perfect, and security isn't a function of software.
It's a function of people, and any decent admin needs to understand
the software that's being run and how to best secure their environment
to meet their organization's needs. There's a major difference
between real-world and theory, and in the end, at least in the real
world, the organization still has to function.

Jeff

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why do I really need a firewall?
    ... - Use non-guessable passwords on each active account ... - Networking Security, etc, etc. Read the web site. ... I won't argue with the fact that connecting a clean install of any Windows ... OS to the Internet without protection is insane. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • (no subject)
    ... If you are connected to the internet then ... >security is always the main concern. ... connecting to the internet, would you? ... and any decent admin needs to understand ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Opening Ports on Norton 2002
    ... >>But it still improves security. ... prevents unauthorized programs from connecting to the internet. ... Lars M. Hansen ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Risks Digest 27.65
    ... ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS ... Harvard student tried to dodge exam with bomb hoax ... Someone's Been Siphoning Data Through a Huge Security Hole in the Internet ...
    (comp.risks)
  • Risks Digest 26.65
    ... ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS ... Internet Amorality, and Cutting Thailand Off From the Internet ... "Face Unlock feature in Galaxy Nexus poses security risk" (Matt Hamblen via ... Facebook Settles With F.T.C. Over Deception Charges ...
    (comp.risks)