Re: Must we Upgrade or Migrate?

From: rq (r.qian@inetmail.att.net)
Date: 07/30/02

From: "rq" <r.qian@inetmail.att.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:19:26 -0500

Karl,
Two questions:
1. Did you take the PDC offline, during the PDC upgrading? I know take one
BDC offline just for rollback if something goes wrong.
2. company.com and company.internal which one is better for AD namespace?
which one did you choose? and why?

My upgrading plan almost same as yours. Just some people suggested me to
take company.internal namespace, and take PDC offline during the upgrading
until the machine restarts.
Thanks

RQ

"karl [x y]" <jamescagney90210@excite.com> wrote in message
> "Fred Yarbrough" <fyarbrou@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > We have a registered Internet domain called COMPANY.COM (for discreet
> > purpose). Our single NT 4 domain is simply called COMPANY. We are
> looking
> > at the options for going to Windows 2000 Active Directory and have a
> concern
> > that we have yet to resolve. We like the idea of migrating our existing
> NT
> > 4 domain to a newly created AD domain -vs- upgrading our current NT 4
>
> Wow, quite a large number of cross-posts to different newsgroups. That's
> generally not a good thing.
>
> I agree with the other post. I prefer upgrading the current directory in
> place. Build an NT4 BDC on a spare workstation and unplug it from the
> network just before an upgrade to keep a known good backup of your NT
domain
> just in case something goes wrong. Then you can either upgrade or replace
> your servers one by one. You can, if you wish, build a second NT4 BDC and
> promote it to PDC and upgrade that server to windows 2000, so that if
> something goes wrong, you haven't screwed up your production server.
Then,
> if you wish you can replace your BDC servers with new windows 2000 servers
> at your leisure. IMHO this plan would probably result in less work for
you
> and less chance of downtime. Tools to migrate over NT user accounts to
> active directory are of varying quality, have varying problems, and I'm
not
> sure you could do it with a free tool. Also, since user permissions are
> done by SID and not by user name, I would be concerned that you might end
up
> trying to recreate all your NTFS and other permissions for the new users.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Re: worthless activation
    ... >>servers, whats the point upgrading if it alredy works. ... Service Pack 2 is a big improvment on Win 3.01? ... What do you mean service pack instalments go ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: upgrade NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 AD
    ... after upgrading the PDC introduce another server with a fresh w2k install ... Install fresh BDC, promote to PDC and upgrade it as win2k AD. ... Introduce two fresh installed W2K3 member servers to the domain and ...
  • Simple questions for 2000 to 2003 upgrade
    ... Just a few simple questions about upgrading our network to 2003. ... And another server running 2000 sp4 exchange sp4 ... The rest of our servers are member servers running 2000 sp4, ... We are just running Windows 2000 Standard, and Exchange 2000 Enterprise. ...
  • Re: Migrating Windows 2003 to Dissimilair Hardware
    ... "Robbie Wallis" wrote in message ... > We are in the process of upgrading our hardware range which requires us to ... You'll probably save yourself a lot of trouble by installing W2K3 servers ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)
  • Re: Migrating a NT4 to a Win2003
    ... IMHO upgrading is "easier" than migrating. ... You can just put the Win 2k3 CD into your existing PDC and upgrade it to Win ... 1°) I install NT4 on my new PC as a BDC ... the second NT4 will work together with the Win2003? ...