Re: Must we Upgrade or Migrate?

From: rq (r.qian@inetmail.att.net)
Date: 07/30/02

From: "rq" <r.qian@inetmail.att.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:19:26 -0500

Karl,
Two questions:
1. Did you take the PDC offline, during the PDC upgrading? I know take one
BDC offline just for rollback if something goes wrong.
2. company.com and company.internal which one is better for AD namespace?
which one did you choose? and why?

My upgrading plan almost same as yours. Just some people suggested me to
take company.internal namespace, and take PDC offline during the upgrading
until the machine restarts.
Thanks

RQ

"karl [x y]" <jamescagney90210@excite.com> wrote in message
> "Fred Yarbrough" <fyarbrou@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > We have a registered Internet domain called COMPANY.COM (for discreet
> > purpose). Our single NT 4 domain is simply called COMPANY. We are
> looking
> > at the options for going to Windows 2000 Active Directory and have a
> concern
> > that we have yet to resolve. We like the idea of migrating our existing
> NT
> > 4 domain to a newly created AD domain -vs- upgrading our current NT 4
>
> Wow, quite a large number of cross-posts to different newsgroups. That's
> generally not a good thing.
>
> I agree with the other post. I prefer upgrading the current directory in
> place. Build an NT4 BDC on a spare workstation and unplug it from the
> network just before an upgrade to keep a known good backup of your NT
domain
> just in case something goes wrong. Then you can either upgrade or replace
> your servers one by one. You can, if you wish, build a second NT4 BDC and
> promote it to PDC and upgrade that server to windows 2000, so that if
> something goes wrong, you haven't screwed up your production server.
Then,