Locking desktop icons - Win2K and terminal servers

From: Steve (sfay@rsd-tc.com)
Date: 07/30/02

From: sfay@rsd-tc.com (Steve)
Date: 29 Jul 2002 16:22:06 -0700

Is there someone who can help me with this? I'm a newbie, so please be
gentle! :) This is in a Win2K server environment.

I'd like to lock items on the desktop. I'd like to prevent users from:

1. Deleting a shortcut or icon from the desktop (by hitting the DELETE
key).
2. Moving an icon.
3. Right-clicking an icon (or "dimming" the "Delete", "Rename",
"Properties" items on the pop-up menu when right-clicked.

And I'd like to (if possible) NOT require the user to logout/login for
these changes to take effect. Now, here's the kicker: These users are
actually using terminal servers rather than their own desktop pc's. So
these changes would have to be done for all users EXCEPT for the
administrator account.

I actually wrote a .vbs script to do this:

WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoViewContextMenu",
1, "REG_DWORD"

and this seems to fix the right-clicking (completely disables it), but
it affects the administrator account as well.

I hope I've been clear. I'd *really* appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks a million! Please feel free to email me directly or post here.
Don't forget to REMOVE the REMOVETHIS from my email address.

Thanks again!
Steve
sfay@REMOVE-THISrsd-tc.com