Re: Must we Upgrade or Migrate?

From: karl [x y] (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 07/27/02

From: "karl [x y]" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:40:39 -0400

"Fred Yarbrough" <fyarbrou@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:#2ypJkMNCHA.1244@tkmsftngp12...
> We have a registered Internet domain called COMPANY.COM (for discreet
> purpose). Our single NT 4 domain is simply called COMPANY. We are
looking
> at the options for going to Windows 2000 Active Directory and have a
concern
> that we have yet to resolve. We like the idea of migrating our existing
NT
> 4 domain to a newly created AD domain -vs- upgrading our current NT 4

Wow, quite a large number of cross-posts to different newsgroups. That's
generally not a good thing.

I agree with the other post. I prefer upgrading the current directory in
place. Build an NT4 BDC on a spare workstation and unplug it from the
network just before an upgrade to keep a known good backup of your NT domain
just in case something goes wrong. Then you can either upgrade or replace
your servers one by one. You can, if you wish, build a second NT4 BDC and
promote it to PDC and upgrade that server to windows 2000, so that if
something goes wrong, you haven't screwed up your production server. Then,
if you wish you can replace your BDC servers with new windows 2000 servers
at your leisure. IMHO this plan would probably result in less work for you
and less chance of downtime. Tools to migrate over NT user accounts to
active directory are of varying quality, have varying problems, and I'm not
sure you could do it with a free tool. Also, since user permissions are
done by SID and not by user name, I would be concerned that you might end up
trying to recreate all your NTFS and other permissions for the new users.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Migration from 2000 to 2003 domain
    ... Personally I wouldn't even attempt an upgrade until I resolved the errors I ... To run diagnostics against your Active Directory domain. ... servers.The problem with my existing domain is that the exchange servers ...
  • Advice on how to proceed?
    ... by everyone with the other Domains with very few members on them. ... Exchange 5.5 Servers. ... and Active Directory. ... Exchange 5.5 continue to run if I upgrade them to 2000?? ...
  • Re: Do I need to upgrade my 2000/2003 Servers to Active Directory...
    ... > Do I need to upgrade my 2000/2003 servers to Active Directory in order to ... > recommending using local machine policies instead on the XP machines. ...
  • Re: Replacing NT4 with AD
    ... > We are about to convert our NT4 systems over to a new Active Directory ... upgrade, If you choose the BDC promote it to PDC, then run your ... As for the question about where to site the DCs, ... Global Catalog servers. ...
  • Re: IMPACT of (Delegation Control of Group Policy) on Active Direc
    ... GPOs applied on DCs and Servers ... Health of active Directory and DCs since unSYSTEM Engineer is having ... Actually my MAIN CONCERN is that how would delegating control of Group ... Policy to SUPPORT Engineer affect health of active directory?? ...