Re: Setting up a shared folder without a password

From: karl [x y] (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 07/27/02

From: "karl [x y]" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:32:02 -0400

"Jim" <jsb@fcny.org> wrote in message
news:17ac01c23580$33269dd0$a4e62ecf@tkmsftngxa06...
> I would like users on my LAN to be able to access shared
> folders on my machine without having to enter a password.
> Indeed, I never set a password but users on other machines
> trying to access are prompted for one anyway and refused.
> (They are on Win98 or XP) I even tried putting a password
> on a shared folder and they are refused access giving this
> passowrd. How does one debug this? Or how does one set
> it up to not have this happen?

This is the difference between Windows 9x/ME and Windows 2000/NT security...
Windows 2000 access is associated with a login ID and password. If your
computers were joined to a Windows domain with a Windows domain controller
server, you could add the login ID for each user to the Security properties
on the folder and the share properties.

The only way I can think of to do what you want is to create a login ID in
the local users on your windows 2000 workstation that matches the login ID
that is used by each person. If their passwords never change, you can make
the password identical to the one used on their workstation. If their
passwords change, you could set the password to be blank. With the former,
I believe they may not be asked for a password. In either case, however,
they can map a network drive letter such as Z: to your shared folder, e.g.
\\computername\sharename , entering the login ID and password you set up for
them and putting a checkmark next to "reconnect at logon." If you do this,
I believe they should not be asked for an ID and password again.