Re: VNC impact- helpdesk troubleshooting client machines

From: Marlon Brown (marlon_brownj@hotmail.com)
Date: 07/26/02

From: "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brownj@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:06:36 -0700

I admire you guys. Thanks a lot !

"karl [x y]" <jamescagney90210@excite.com> wrote in message
news:OHsmwVMNCHA.2192@tkmsftngp08...
> "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brownj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Any security implication when setting VNC for remote troubleshooting ?
> > Helpdesk would hook up to the machine and troubleshoot it remotely.
>
> Changing the default password [the one that is used when the machine is at
> the login prompt] remotely is difficult if not impossible. Also, by
default
> the password is stored unencrypted in the registry, so that any of your
> users could get the password and see what the president of the company was
> doing on his computer, including reading his emails as he types them,
forge
> emails, etc. I believe the password might be passed in plain text over
the
> network as well. I believe there are a few variations on VNC including a
> commercial version which may have handled these issues in some way.
>
> These are issues that will need to be resolved with any product you pick,
> but there are arguably more secure solutions out there than VNC that are
> also faster in screen response time.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: VNC impact- helpdesk troubleshooting client machines
    ... > Any security implication when setting VNC for remote troubleshooting? ... doing on his computer, including reading his emails as he types them, forge ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • RE: Remote login
    ... Subject: Remote login ... vnc is the right way to go in my opinion. ... Window manager warning: Log level 32: could not find XKB extension. ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: VNC auf 2008 Server
    ... Es geht dabei um eine Steuersoftware die ein lokal vor Ort angeschlossenes USB-Gerät abfragt, wenn man sich jedoch per RDP drauf verbindet, sucht die Software automatisch beim Remotehost, unabhängig was man nun zum durchschleifen freigegeben hat oder nicht. ... If Fast User Switching or Remote Desktop are used, then VNC Server will connect session zero to the console in order to allow it to be accessed. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windows.server.general)
  • Re: working with two computers?
    ... heron stone wrote: ... sharing and file transfers. ... For the keyboard, monitor, and mouse, you could look at using VNC ... a passable job of providing remote keyboard, monitor, mouse access ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: [opensuse] VNC Colors
    ... I got a really strange issue with VNC in 11.1. ... You can use vncviewer instead as your vnc client if you are connecting to another computer that has a vnc server running. ... These will allow you to connect in via a KDM login prompt and start a new user session on the "remote" computer. ... However, if you are wanting control over a remote live desktop, such as what Krfb would do for you then install the x11vnc server package on the remote computer. ...
    (SuSE)