Must we Upgrade or Migrate?

From: Fred Yarbrough (fyarbrou@yahoo.com)
Date: 07/26/02

From: "Fred Yarbrough" <fyarbrou@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:27:06 -0500

We have a registered Internet domain called COMPANY.COM (for discreet
purpose). Our single NT 4 domain is simply called COMPANY. We are looking
at the options for going to Windows 2000 Active Directory and have a concern
that we have yet to resolve. We like the idea of migrating our existing NT
4 domain to a newly created AD domain -vs- upgrading our current NT 4
domain. We would like to name our new AD domain COMPANY.COM and run it
parallel with our old NT 4 domain COMPANY since that is what our users are
used to seeing. We would gradually move users over to the new AD domain
until everyone is there. The problem that we are concerned about is that
since our NT 4 domain name is COMPANY and our new AD domain would be
COMPANY.COM, there could be NETBIOS name problems. Our 2500 clients are
mostly Windows95 with some NT/2000. When our new hardware arrives I will
test this concern but until then, maybe someone out there knows if this will
be a problem.

Thanks,
Fred

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Must we Upgrade or Migrate?
    ... > We have a registered Internet domain called COMPANY.COM (for discreet ... > purpose). ... > at the options for going to Windows 2000 Active Directory and have a ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: How About a Hardended Win2K Image to Bash?
    ... And that purpose is to act as a security blanket. ... it it is so easy to poke someone's Windows PC while they're on ... just internet connection. ... drives, and denied access to usbstor.inf/pnf to disable USB memory cards? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Dongel kopieren
    ... Ein PC ist ne Universalmaschine, ... Und das normale Windows bringt entsprechende Funktionen mit, Spiele, ... "Special Purpose" erkennbar. ... der Wahlcomputer nach soeinem Eingriff keiner mehr. ...
    (de.sci.electronics)
  • Re: Linux for Kids
    ... > for purpose". ... > that are pursuing Bill and his corporation for the damage to trade and ... Opinions differ on that. ... Windows is still just as dominant as it has always ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: The ghost in the machine
    ... If there's only one fly in the ointment, I'd get rid of the fly, ... happy to use Windows for this one purpose. ... My puzzlement about people who stick to Windows like a fly to ... I will say that my journey with Ubuntu has not been entirely ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)