Re: Where should security exist?

From: blaxshep (Jim_Campau@bausch.com)
Date: 07/24/02

From: "blaxshep" <Jim_Campau@bausch.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:40:11 -0400

You definately want to lock down workstations. Security issues aside, do you
want to be reinstalling work stations everytime someone installs
unauthorized crap on thier workstation and alters their configuration? I
hope you have virus scanners running on these free reign PCs. If not your
really asking for it.

"Keith W. McCammon" <km@km.com> wrote in message
> > Even if all the data was being saved on the servers,
> > wouldn't you still risk the fact that a user can download
> > and run some program that can comprise the security of
> > the entire network.
>
> Yep! In a heartbeat...
>
> > I am just thinking, if over 70% of the companies that get
> > hacked, get hacked from within their organization, why
> > would it be a bad practice to harden the security on
> > workstations as well the servers.
>
> It wouldn't.
>
> > The article I read was written by someone who said was a
> > consultant for Pricewaterhouse.
>
> Then I wouldn't hire them for network security consulting. As I
mentioned,
> you can't believe everything that you read, especially in this industry.
> Folks like that mainly exist to make people, and to confuse less educated
> folks into hiring PWC (or any firm, for that matter) to perform largely
> unneeded consulting services.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: block internet at two workstations
    ... It looks like your router only allows ... block internet at two workstations ... prospectus based upon the core principle concepts of security. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: How to ... 2nd request
    ... There are only 3 ways to restrict what workstations users ... There are two policies you can set to acheive the desired results. ... "Allow logon locally" you could set this up to be inclusive of all groups ... And yet another caveat to policies under the security node. ...
  • Re: How to ... 2nd request
    ... There are only 3 ways to restrict what workstations users ... There are two policies you can set to acheive the desired results. ... "Allow logon locally" you could set this up to be inclusive of all groups ... And yet another caveat to policies under the security node. ...
  • RE: Remote Installation Services, DoOldStyleDomainJoin=Yes
    ... This security setting determines which groups or users can add workstations ... On one of the Domain Controllers, open Domain Controller Security Policy ... >Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Microsoft Strategic Technology Protection Program
    ... servers and workstations through GPOs. ... that it's impossible for users to inadvertently execute worm scripts. ... and other security patches using startup scripts written in JScript. ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)