Re: Ports that are open on a Server

From: Jason (jason.ungerer@za.pwcglobal.com)
Date: 07/24/02

From: "Jason" <jason.ungerer@za.pwcglobal.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:57:04 -0700

Hello HTH

Thanks for the tip. Yet, the netstat command would be a
start, do you have any more avenues that I can look at?

memory - you can
>use, for example, Task Manager to find which process is
utilising most
>memory (Perfmon a great tool to determine if consumption
actually
>increases), and restart/kill the service.
>
>You can use any port scanner to find out what ports are
open. If you are not
>using firewall/packet filtering, netstat -a command will
give you the list
>of listening ports.
>
>Also, you'll need to do your housekeeping - stay up to
date with patches
>(Windows Update a great help) and secure your
applications. For instance, on
>a mail server port 25/TCP is a legitimate traffic, and
you can have all the
>patches in the world, but open mail relay - result of
improper
>configuration - can cause increased use of the serve
memory, CPU and network
>bandwidth.
>
>HTH
>
>--
>Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP, MCSE
>-= F1 is the key =-
>
>"Jason" <jason.ungerer@za.pwcgloabl.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have been subjected to a DoS. My Mail server's memory
>> utilization which increased by some 20% over 2 days. i
had
>> to result to shutdown and restart the server to clear
the
>> cache. is there a reference doc that i can look at to
try
>> and "plug up" and only keep necessary ports open.
>

>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?
    ... Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional ... System Memory 512 MB ... Communication Port Communications Port ... Driver Download http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2 ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Toshiba Tecra: ACPI and APM woes...
    ... I tried first ACPI enabled including the acpi_toshiba and the toshctl port. ... real memory = 1056178176 ... <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0 ... # NETSMB enables support for SMB protocol, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Some I/O port s seem to be blocked / Win 98
    ... has registers (e.g. memory) on those I/O addresses. ... hardware platforms have I/O ports. ... > But isn't there a method to define or assign a free port address ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ole)
  • Problems with 8.0 Beta 4
    ... Consoles: internal video/keyboard serial port ... BIOS 638kB/64512kB available memory ... isa0: on isab0 ... can't assign resources (memory) ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Change COM port
    ... > XP is the result of quantum leaps forward since those heady days of DOS ... > tinker/tweak the system.. ... > and again with some crap that just might recover 6k of wasted memory and ... >> be set, and sometimes jumpered, for appropriate COM port. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)