Baffling logon problem

From: Mugsy (drmugsy@yahoo.com)
Date: 07/18/02

From: drmugsy@yahoo.com (Mugsy)
Date: 17 Jul 2002 22:27:13 -0700

I am using Win2000 pro. It is just a stand alone. Not on a network,
home computer. I have been logging on for several months with a user
account I created. Let's call the user name User1. Today, I wanted
to create another user account for my kids to use (so that i could
restrict their use to certain folders). So I went into control
panel--admin tools--computer management and created an account,
User2, and made it a user account. User1 account is an admin account.
 I then went to a couple folders and changed the permission from
"everyone" to User1 (the folders that I didn't want them to use).
Next, I changed User1 account password (because the kids knew the old
one). I rebooted and tried the new User1 password and it worked fine.
 I then logged off and back on with the User2 (kids) account. So far
so good. I configured their desktop and logged off when done. Now,
when I tried to log back on as my User1 account I kept getting the
user name, password, or domain not correct message. So, I tried
everything (caps lock on, caps lock off, old password, new password
etc. I am a Network Admin. so I sort of know what I am doing). Still
it wouldn't let me in. I tried to logon as Administrator but I am not
sure of the password (i don't think i ever changed but "password" or
blank did not work. I am 99.9999 percent sure that I am putting the
User1 password in correctly. I am baffled. Anyone, know why this is
happening? I am not on a domain. I even tried logging on like this:
computername\user1 and that didn't work. Any ideas? Help me! Thank
you.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Password expired ...
    ... > I am running W2K computer on corporate network. ... If you are logging onto a domain, have the domain admin actually check your ... account isn't configured to match that policy. ... Take a look at the following registry key: ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: User Profile migration / relocation
    ... Then login user1 again, I found there will be some ... ntusers.ini and ntuser.dat cannot be copied to the new profile etc. ... You need first create an account in Domain B. ... > Use USMT - the user state migration tool. ...
  • Re: Administrator as Only User ?
    ... Data folder for user1 and there are folders there. ... The standard security practice is to rename the account, set a strong password on it, and use it only to create another account for regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door" in case something corrupts your regular account. ... While using a computer with limited privileges isn't the cure-all, silver bullet that some claim it to be, any experienced IT professional will verify that doing so definitely reduces that amount of damage and depth of penetration by the malware. ...
  • Getting Rid of Multiple Administrators
    ... After cleaning all the ... User1 was the administrator. ... Administrator account that were causing the OS anomalies in the ...
  • Re: Problems with "My TV"
    ... You seem to run a network similar to the one I run at home. ... What rights does the domain account your are logging on have on the local ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)