Re: NTFS Permissions

From: Joshua Heslinga (jheslinga@attbi.com)
Date: 07/16/02

From: "Joshua Heslinga" <jheslinga@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 06:31:31 -0400

Hedgie,

Both sets of permissions will be effective. The most restrictive of the two
will be the result. For example, if I have Full Control through the share
but only Read in the NTFS (Security tab) permissions, I will only be able to
read.

Do yourself a favor, however. Microsoft doesn't recommend using both, and I
agree wholeheartedly. Pick one of the two and assign all your permissions
through that. This makes your life easier and is just as effective.

Given that you need to limit access to different folders within a share, you
need to use NTFS permissions. So just leave the share at Everyone=> Full
Control and assign whatever access you want with NTFS.

Joshua Heslinga
MCSE, CISSP

"Hedgie" <hedgie67@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Group,
> I need some help w/NTFS permissions in Win 2K server. I am trying
> to setup permissions on a couple of folders and shares for Net access.
> I am trying to share an entire HD for Data access as well as put
> limited access on sub-folders within. What I need to know is what
> holds precedence, the Security Tab or permissions under the sharing
> tab? Please give me some examples if you could.
> Thanks in advance..
>
> Hedgie

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Computer componet of GP not being applied
    ... Enterprise Admins: everything but full control ... That is quite possibly related to groups and permissions. ... > click Properties and then look at the Security tab. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: richtxt32.ocx and Office XP SP3 Problem
    ... security tab, you might want to check the permissions there. ... I have some VB code that uses the MS RichText Control Box. ... Box does not work anymore. ...
  • Re: Share permisisons in Server 08
    ... I right click the folder and select share folder with Everyone having Full ... Under the security tab - I add and give the folowing control, ... Click the Share this folder box, click the permissions button and select ...
  • GPO for Resolution
    ... problems but in this case the permissions are set up so that Everyone has ... full control on the share permissions and the NTFS permissions are set so ... Can anyone shed any light on the ACTUAL workings of the home folder mapping ...
  • GPO to Solve this Issue