Re: Restoring Encrypted Files

From: Kevin (Kevin@computerabilities.com)
Date: 07/13/02

From: "Kevin" <Kevin@computerabilities.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:23:34 -0400

Will this work if the OS is Windows NT 4.0 Server? We are not running 2000
Server.

Kevin McGowan
Computer Abilities
Kevin@computerabilities.com
419-436-1185
"x y" <jamescagney90210@excite.com> wrote in message
> Did you follow the instructions at www.microsoft.com/support to use the
> domain administrator account as the EFS recovery agent? For workstations
> joined to a domain, the domain administrator account is the EFS recovery
> agent. I would guess this might work even though the workstation has
> crashed, because I would guess the EFS recovery agent encryption key is
not
> stored on the local crashed PC but in Active Directory. If it works, let
us
> know.
>
> "Kevin" <Kevin@computerabilities.com> wrote in message
> > I joined the same domain with this PC - but still could not change
> > encryption attribute on these files. This is a NT 4.0 network. With NT
> > Server 4.0 - if I did not export the recover key - will I be able to
gain
> > access to the encrypted files?
> >
> > --
> > Kevin McGowan
> > Computer Abilities
> > Kevin@computerabilities.com
> > 419-436-1185
> > "Keith W. McCammon" <km@km.com> wrote in message
> > > If the new PC is joined to the same domain as the old PC, OR if you
> > exported
> > > a recovery key, you can recover the data. If neither of these
> conditions
> > > exist, say goodbye...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Keith W. McCammon
> > >

> > > "Kevin" <Kevin@computerabilities.com> wrote in message

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Restoring Encrypted Files
    ... domain administrator account as the EFS recovery agent? ... > encryption attribute on these files. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: NTFS encryption problem
    ... > I've run into a minor problem with NTFS encryption. ... > the same (active directory based) user account as I used on the previous ... the domain Administrator account is the default EFS recovery agent. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: NTFS encryption problem
    ... the domain Administrator account is the default EFS recovery agent. ... Users who can decrypt: ...
    (microsoft.public.security)