Re: Question for WinInstall customers

From: Bill Stewart (bstewart@iname.no_spam.com)
Date: 07/05/02

From: "Bill Stewart" <bstewart@iname.no_spam.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:52:16 -0600

"Andy" <andrew_taylor_ihatespammcse@yahooihatespam.com> wrote in message
news:ujRxbpvICHA.1916@tkmsftngp09...

> It seems strange to me that the appliation requires Domain Admins membership
> to distribute desktop software. As long as it has the appropriate access on
> the PCs where it will be installing software, I don't understand why it
> should matter what group object is being used. However, from what I'm hearing
> from the vendor, it appears that they are relying on several default
> permissions and rights that are assigned by default to the Domain Admins
> group object.

I agree with you. It seems that all their software needs is to be a member of a
group that is a member of your workstations' Administrators local groups. I
would try creating a global group in your OU that contains accounts that should
be a member of the Administrators group on the workstations, and add the
software's account to that group. The question to ask is, "Why does the account
have to be a member of Domain Admins if it's in the Administrators group on the
workstations?"