Re: Question for WinInstall customers

From: Bill Stewart (
Date: 07/05/02

From: "Bill Stewart" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:52:16 -0600

"Andy" <> wrote in message

> It seems strange to me that the appliation requires Domain Admins membership
> to distribute desktop software. As long as it has the appropriate access on
> the PCs where it will be installing software, I don't understand why it
> should matter what group object is being used. However, from what I'm hearing
> from the vendor, it appears that they are relying on several default
> permissions and rights that are assigned by default to the Domain Admins
> group object.

I agree with you. It seems that all their software needs is to be a member of a
group that is a member of your workstations' Administrators local groups. I
would try creating a global group in your OU that contains accounts that should
be a member of the Administrators group on the workstations, and add the
software's account to that group. The question to ask is, "Why does the account
have to be a member of Domain Admins if it's in the Administrators group on the

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "Edit Users..." Menu Item Disabled in Telephony Management Sna
    ... To make it clear i used account that is member of domain admins and group ... I set up also the account (already member of domain admins and trough this ... Running "tapicfg show" revealed that I had no Active Directory TAPI ...
  • Re: Listing user privileges
    ... So the service works is Domain Admin, running on a member, ... Domain Admins group resolves the issue, and I'm suspecting (but not yet ... confirmed) that being a member of the Administrators group for the domain ... are the privilege differences between those two groups, ...
  • Re: Disappear from Domain Admins group every day?
    ... I read a few things about protected groups, but never read about 'local groups only'. ... I created a user on a Windows 2008 R2 domain and added it to the domain admins group. ... Make sure your account isn't member of the protected groups in AD, ...
  • Re: Listing user privileges
    ... that Domain Admins (therefore AD controller ... Administrators group) has no advanced privileges on a member server other ...
  • Re: Windows Service - Event Log
    ... I didn't say the Administrator account. ... Administrators group on the local machine." ... I didn't advocate using a member of the Administrator's group; ...