Re: Files with leading/trailing spaces in NTFS Drive (HACKED!)

From: Nil Fiat (living_paradox@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/02/02

From: "Nil Fiat" <living_paradox@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:23:12 -0400

Just an odd thought...Something I used to do when I was a kid, hiding my
stories on my dad's DOS drive, was to preface (or end) the filename with a
"null character". It appears as a space, but it isn't in computer language,
so unless you happen to know to type the null character, you can't get at
the file. Cool little trick, that. Also, windows (explorer) will not open
such files, though you can see them. It's unlikely that your files have a
null character in them unless it was put there on purpose, but it's a
thought and you can certainly try it: In the command prompt, type your
command and before you type the file name, hold ALT and press 2-5-5 on the
number pad. Here is me doing that in the middle of the word "check" ... che
ck. (Man, I hope that doesn't screw up this post...!)

Hey, if this doesn't help, at least you know a neat trick now, right?
*wink*

Take care,
NF

"Tychos" <tychosb@katamail.com> wrote in message
> No, I tried different ways like what you've suggested and something more
> using CYGWIN utilities or through a disk editor trying to modify directly
> the
> Anyway I really wonder how this has been possible... WIN32 doesn't admit
> those kind of names and also UNIX utilities are not able to modify the
> situation. I think this could a hole of Microsoft FTP server o WIN32 in
> itself so I post this message also in security newsgroup.
>
> Bye and thank you for your response.
>
> Tychos.
>
> "Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP" <rmu1@columbiaSPAM.SUCKSedu> wrote in
> message news:3D2088A7.382F9E3F@columbiaSPAM.SUCKSedu...
> > You will most likely find success at the command prompt, even though you
> > seem to have already tried that.
> >
> > I would try the '\\.\' prefix. IOW, if the filename is "c:\folder1\
> > file1.txt", try:
> >
> > rename "\\.\c:\folder1\ file1.txt" "file1.txt"
> >
> > If that doesn't work, try renaming using a wildcard mask:
> >
> > rename "\\.\c:\folder1\??file1.txt" "xxfile1.txt"
> > OR
> > rename "\\.\c:\folder1\??f*.txt" "file1.txt" [or some other mask that
> > makes the filename unique in the directory]
> > rename "\\.\c:\folder1\xxfile1.txt" "file1.txt"
> >
> > hth
> >
> > Tychosb wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi to all,
> > >
> > > I'm experiencing the following experience:
> > >
> > > I have a directory in an NTFS volume with some files that I can't
copy,
> move
> > > or rename. These files have a name with a leading space. I've tried
> > > different manners to get rid of this problem like using 8.3 names or
> posix
> > > utilities but the system responds always with the same message:
> > >
> > > The system cannot find the file specified.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your help.
> > >
> > > TYCHO
> >
> > --
> > Ricardo M. Urbano
> > Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT What does RET (Enter) do and how does it do it ??
    ... character, which is the hexadecimal value 0x0a. ... you're at a command prompt or other program requesting input (remember ... standardized meaning according to what has been bound to the keymap the ...
    (Fedora)
  • -Crawl S- 0.1.3 New meaning of command-line options?
    ... If I choose name, race and class at the command prompt, the old behavior ... was to immediately start a defined character if it exist. ... I'm missing some kind of shortcut for the old behavior: ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.misc)
  • Re: ShellExecute
    ... > You're using the> character, which is only special because the Windows ... > command prompt makes it special. ... > program's standard output handle with a handle to that file. ... > Never ignore a compiler warning. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.nativeapi)
  • Re: Cut/Paste Settings - W2K client
    ... >I have never seen any Windows PC where this ... provided that the Command Prompt was in windowed ... > character-based process, you can paste character data only but ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)