EFS question

From: Rona Smith (ronald.smith@us.fortis.com)
Date: 07/01/02

From: "Rona Smith" <ronald.smith@us.fortis.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:17:18 -0700

I am reveiwing and learning about Encrypted Files System
(EFS) which is included with Windows 2000 and Windows XP
operating systems.

1) Can you require that a password be set to access a file
which is encrypted using your EFS certificate?
2) If so , can you set rules around these passwords such
as the account locks out after so many worng passwprd
attempts, etc.

Thanks, I will look forward to hearing from anyone that
has EFS experience and/or knowledge.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Re[2]: Encryption on Laptops?
    ... attack that Bart described is indeed possible - but only on Windows 2000 ... I don't see any reason to conclude that EFS is inherently a weak solution. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
  • Re: Passwords on Folders
    ... > you to use passwords on folders? ... Windows NT/2000/XP do not natively let you set passwords on folders. ... Windows under which those permissions were defined. ... use NTFS on your hard drives so you can then EFS ...
  • Re: EFS Decryption Problem
    ... hard drive is running the old instance of Windows under which the EFS ... Or did you install a new instance of Windows ... The username is irrelevant to EFS. ... the EFS certificate and save it on removable media (floppy, CD, thumb ...
  • Re: EFS Certificate Needed
    ... Backup and save on non-degrading media the EFS DRA .pfx file ... Foe sure I will follow "Windows Recommendations". ... that recovery agent will only have ... Best practices for the Encrypting File System ...
  • Re: user does not have acces privileges
    ... You have already been told by experts that you cannot access that Word file if EFS was used to protect it and the encryption certificate was lost during the reinstall of XP. ... Windows Shell/User ... "Zorro" wrote: ...