Different password policys?

From: Jerry Haugeto (jerry.haugeto@got.sema.se)
Date: 07/01/02

From: "Jerry Haugeto" <jerry.haugeto@got.sema.se>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 16:19:41 +0200

Hi guys!

I've been reading about having different password policys in one domain is
a problem because it's a domain wide setting.

But I've also read that if a Group Policy is set at an OU, then it should
carry out those settings?

I've tried this and have some problems....

I've setup an OU with a different password policy than the Default domain
policy, the policy also
blocks and uses no override against other policys.

In this OU I've placed the computer account of the workstation that I'm
testing this on, everything is synched and ok.

The idea is that I want the users to be able to change the passwords back to
the one they had before.
In order to do this I've set Passwordhistory:0, Minimum password age:0.

If I look at the local policy on the machine I can see that those values are
the one's considered 'effective' on the machine.
I can also see that the computer reads the specified policy and not the
domain policy through gpresult.exe.

But still I can't change the password back to the same as last time, it
says: at least one password is rememberd....

Why?!

Should'nt this work?

/Jerry

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Domain Users group does not retain the Log on Locally right
    ... Readded the computer account. ... Computer reboot when completed. ... Logged onto the SBS Domain as administrator. ... Went in the Local Policy Editor and cofirmed that DOMAINANME\Domain Users ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Machine Policy not being applied
    ... I'm not totally clear on what you're doing but for the machine settings to ... the computer account must be in the OU to which the policy is ... > I added the template to the Default Domain Policy - IT WORKED FINE. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • RE: Remote Installation Services, DoOldStyleDomainJoin=Yes
    ... It appears that the policy had been set previoulsy but when the policy was ... > SP1 introduced additonal RPC and SAMR security and during the upgrade SP1 ... > updates that SP1 will be over written and thus the workstation will not have ... >> provide domain account credentials to join the computer account to the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Domain Users group does not retain the Log on Locally right
    ... successfully completed but after the updates the Domain Users disappeared. ... Users" were not members of the "Log on Locally" policy. ... computer account from AD and then readding the computer account then ... workstations and it does add Domain Users to the Lo on Locally policy. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Assigning/Publishing Office 2003 in Active Directory
    ... Forgot about the computer account moving to the OU. ... or you must apply the GPO to the computer through the Apply Policy ... > Any ideas why this is not installing? ...