Re: Windows 2000 Version

From: Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\) (egbert_nierop@nospam.com)
Date: 06/29/02

From: "Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)" <egbert_nierop@nospam.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:20:27 +0200

???
What is this nonsense? If you're talking about hacked editions, I believe
you but why should an OEM lower the security?
What really is happening that when you install W2k on an unknown hardware
vendor that utilizes uncertified hardware (compare with certified parts by
DELL, COMPAQ, HP) the system becomes unstable. This has nothing to do with
the build but with the hardware.

--
ASP Session replacement for webfarms
"S. Pidgorny [MVP]" <slavickp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The problem is, the public version can be tranformed to "a special version
> with low security and stability" by a OEM or the user... Not special
> versions of files (if no trojan is installed) though :)
>
> --
> Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP, MCSE
> -= F1 is the key =-
>
> "phoenix" <phoenix@fakeaddress.uk.com> wrote in message
> > In article <OKmvbmsECHA.1892@tkmsftngp03>, kfragos@netscape.net says...
> > > I try to find ways to check if the software which i have
> > > in my machine is the public release of Windows 2000
> > > Professional or is a special version with low security and
> > > stability.
> > > Can you suggest any method or process?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> >
> > The public release of WIN2K is 5.0.2195 - right click on My
> > Computer/Properties and you'll see it there. There were no other
> > versions of WIN2K Professional.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Bill

Relevant Pages

  • RE: FreeBSD 4.8 v/s 5.1
    ... security and stability are not critical as far as i am concerened. ... there is another important reason, my hardware tends to require later versions ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Security and EOL issues
    ... OS software resources are designed that reserved ram and disk space among other resources, to reflect what current hardware size is available. ... (There was a security patch a few years ago that could not be applied to NT4 as it required more resources then NT4 could provide. ... Installing air bags requires that the automobile manufacturer design, test, ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Wikileaks, secondary effects
    ... Those last people are not in the business of security, ... local to network storage for documents and applications. ... Most workstations have no real need to attach peripherals aside from mouse and keyboard and since the lifetime of a desktop is about three years, "damaging" hardware to make it more secure is not a big deal. ... The professor who owned the project was under the fond illusion that if he just got all the static timing right, then all the bugs were *gone* This guy and many others in the 1980s and early '90s didn't grasp the complexity of a CPU or an OS and that the only way to wring bugs out is by users finding them. ...
    (sci.military.naval)
  • Re: Host-Base Firewall
    ... While hardware security solutions do serve a purpose and do defeat some attacks, they can not solve the human element problem or the evolution problem. ... A while back our research team performed an assessment of several security appliances as a part of an R&D project. ... When we assessed the appliance technology we discovered that the libraries and software that were being used were on average 1-3 years old. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: 7 Places Where Mac OS X is Still Behind Windows
    ... >> rendering ... no 2D graphics hardware does that. ... >> implement fully accurate Quartz 2D rasterization using shader programs. ... >> Everybody makes security mistakes. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)