Re: How do I remove file encryption!?!

Date: 06/24/02

From: <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:24:20 -0700

> If the PC is a DC member, you can ask the recovery agent to recover the
> for you.

I have a similar problem, in that I am no longer able to boot from a Win2k
install under which I encrypted some folders, and therefore can no longer
access those folders. I created a new Win2k install and can see the files, I
just can't access them.

I have two approaches - either fix the "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" stop
message so I can boot from the original OS image, or find a way to decrypt
my files from the new image. Since I've tried repairing the OS, updating
drivers and BIOS, etc with no success, I'm trying the latter. Although any
help on the former would be welcome.

Is there documentation on how to use MMC and recovery agents to decrypt

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Encrypting File System
    ... If you do not have back-ups of the original keys, ... Creating a recovery Agent after the fact will not work. ... There is not and there should not be a way to decrypt the data without ...
  • Re: Recovering encrypted files and folders
    ... >decrypt those files are YOUR user key and the recovery key ... >to extract the keys to decrypt your files. ... The second disk was copies of My Documents. ... >> recovery agent, but it didn't work. ...
  • Re: Encrypting File System Recovery
    ... created a new recovery agent for the administrator account ... which doesn't have the ability to decrypt my files for the ... >> Admin but since I haven't logged on as an Admin due to ...
  • Re: EFS
    ... In a Windows 2000 domain there are two people who can decrypt a file. ... in the user profile and managed through the user certificate mmc snapin. ... The Recovery Agent by default is the original administrator account on the ... find out who can decrypt an EFS encrypted file and view the thumbprint of ...
  • Re: cant recover encrypted files on efs
    ... A recovery agent cannot decrypt an EFS file until ... into foo's certificates. ... I log in as Admin and import foo's .cer to the Trusted ... I log in as "foo" and try to decrypt the file that was ...