Re: Surfing Web as Admin bad idea?

From: Bryan Nyce (bryan_nyce@hotmail.com)
Date: 06/20/02

From: "Bryan Nyce" <bryan_nyce@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:37:04 -0700

"Mike" <asdf@asdf.com> wrote in message
news:1089f01c217dc$2e2f2200$39ef2ecf@TKMSFTNGXA08...
> OK,
>
> I saw somewhere that surfing the web while logged on as
> admin was a bad idea? I run sw / hw firewalls and the
> like and not really worried about security intrusions, but
> what gives with this theory?

I typically create 2 accounts for myself - one admin, one regular user. User
the regular user for day to day activities (email, web etc..) and only use
the admin account for Admin tasks.

This is because if I happen to be logged on as admin, and execute a virus
(email, through the web, etc) it will run with admin rights, which could be
much more devastating.

Basically, it's a security risk to do day-to-day tasks with an admin
account.

Bryan Nyce