Re: Rejecting Unauthorized Client

From: x y (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 06/17/02

From: "x y" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:13:30 -0400

"Fredrik" <fredrikholgersso@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:da5801c215f5$435c79e0$a4e62ecf@tkmsftngxa06...

> [...]

I agree. I don't believe there is a good way to do this in DHCP. All of
the DHCP settings can be seen by browsing through the DHCP MMC for a few
minutes. For smaller networks you could add a dhcp reservation for each MAC
address so that each new mac address needs to contact you to be set up to
get an IP address. I am told that Unix dhcp may have some features that may
do what you want better. If you wish, there are third party windows and
Unix utilities and windows resource kit utilities you can use to at least
monitor changes to mac addresses and dhcp and alert you, though this may not
be ideal for you.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Unauthorised PCs
    ... IP lease to a mac address of a computers network adapter. ... If your switches can do mac filtering you may want to look at that. ... > Any ideas how I can prevent users picking up a dhcp lease when they plug ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: static IP addresses on LAN
    ... Mac machines are refusing to work with anything except dynamically ... because access to anything on the internet is impossible. ... If I instead configure it to use DHCP, then it gets assigned the wrong IP ... the Macs sometimes do not get the necessary DNS server info. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • RE: finding out what devices got an ip from the dhcp ?
    ... finding out what devices got an ip from the dhcp? ... Is there an easy and fast way to find out what computers got ... MAC addresses that can connect to the wifi AP.... ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: static IP addresses on LAN
    ... Mac machines are refusing to work with anything except dynamically ... because access to anything on the internet is impossible. ... If I instead configure it to use DHCP, then it gets assigned the wrong IP ... the Macs sometimes do not get the necessary DNS server info. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: [SLE] Wierd internet "unknown host" problem
    ... On Wed October 13 2004 3:26 pm, Andy Prough wrote: ... > computers are connected to the internet through a firewall running Devil ... All the other computers in the house are accessing all ... DHCP or static? ...
    (SuSE)