Re: Faking administrators accounts?

From: Daniel Masur (
Date: 06/17/02

From: "Daniel Masur" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:51:10 +0200

"Ingmar Koecher" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> The idea behind this is simple. Generally it's recommended to rename the
> "Administrator" account to something else - the best would be normal
> username ;-), so that an intruder not only has to find out the password
> also the username.

But what about the uid?
Afaik, the admin account has the uid 501.
By simply renaming it the uid should remain the same.

So the renamed admin account would still be gainable by trying the uid.

Or am i wrong?
-Daniel Masur

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Finding currently logged in users
    ... >Each user on the system should have a unique userid UID. ... username -> uid is a one-way map. ... places to record UIDs of logged-in users anyway. ... "lordhighmasteroftheuniverseanddns" is logged in and listed by who ...
  • Need help with joining a domain
    ... The call to the rename function almost works as well. ... Error code 2221 is defined as "The username could not be found". ... NetRenameMachineInDomain, the rename works properly. ... indication that a reboot is required after calling NetJoinDomain before ...
  • Need help with joining domain
    ... I am writing a C# program to automate the deployment of new notebooks the ... first time they are booted after sysprep has done it's thing. ... The call to the rename function almost works as well. ... Error code 2221 is define as "The username could not be found". ...
  • Re: Renaming User Account
    ... Additional things that still don't get resolved are the change of username ... The profile folders aren't a problem because of ... I usually rename the profile folder as well. ... successfull, however, the Email address did not update. ...
  • Re: XPhome vs username
    ... you simply rename the username, the display name stays the same and the ... and other user settings to a new account. ...