Re: CA Stand Alone Root vs Enterprise Root

From: Frank Durham (fdurham@nospam.sportsendeavors.com)
Date: 06/04/02

From: "Frank Durham" <fdurham@nospam.sportsendeavors.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 10:04:10 -0400

David-

Thanks for the quick response. My next and final question is; for the Stand
alone, should it be configured for AD or just a member server?

Frank
"D. Cross [MS]" <vaq130@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> An enterprise CA must stay online. If you want a tiered hierarchy, you
> should install an offline standalone root CA and then an online
subordinate
> enterprise CA.
>
> --
>
> David B. Cross [MS]
>
> --
rights.

> "Frank Durham" <fdurham@nospam.sportsendeavors.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings-
> >
> > I know the major difference between an Enterprise Root CA and a
> Stand-Alone
> > Root CA is the Enterprise requires Active Directory. Well I have done
> some
> > research on Tech net and there is an article, Q271386. I am trying to
> > vreate an Enterprise Root CA and then install a subordinate CA, then
take
> > the Enterprise offline. This article seems to say that this will not
work
> > in an Enterprise CA environment.
> >
> > Anyone had any experience setting up a Root/subordiate CA, within Active
> > Directory? If so any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Frank

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Certificate Authority type
    ... documented infrastructure and precedures around that - one cannot trust PKI ... I installed> a enterprise root and enterprise subordinate in my lab and it does not show> the enterprise subordinate in S&S. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Certificate Authority type
    ... It only seems to show Enterprise Root CA's in Sites & Services. ... the enterprise subordinate in S&S. ... It shows only the root in the Certification Authorities folder, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Difference between Certificate Authorities
    ... If your CA crashes, your main concern should be recover that CA, for that to happen you need a good backup plan strategy. ... If my Enterprise Root is crashed then certificate issue by Enterprise root CA will be served by Enterprise Sub Ordinate CA. ... Enterprise CAs Vs Standalone CAs - (the first one is in a domain and published in your AD, the second one may be in a domain or not but is not ...
  • Re: Difference between Certificate Authorities
    ... If my Enterprise Root is crashed then certificate issue by Enterprise root ... Root CAs Vs Subordinate Vs Issuing CAs. ...
  • Re: CA Stand Alone Root vs Enterprise Root
    ... >> An enterprise CA must stay online. ... >>> Root CA is the Enterprise requires Active Directory. ... >>> vreate an Enterprise Root CA and then install a subordinate CA, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)