Re: Audit the administrator account?

From: x y (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 05/29/02

From: "x y" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 16:04:32 -0400

For the local admin password, set up or use a workstation that is not joined
to the domain. Write a batch file or other script that from time to time
tries to connect to each computer using the ID and password, such as

net use x: /delete [or net use \\servername\c$ /delete ]
net use x: \\servername\c$ password /user:administrator [or you can do it
without the x:, e.g.
net use x: \\servername\c$ password /user:administrator ]
if exist x:\ goto next

:notification
blat [use blat to send yourself an email OR]
net send yourworkstationname "admin password on xxx has changed..."

:next

You'd want to add some code at the beginning to make sure the device is
turned on or else you will get false alarms. You could for example do
PING computername>>c:\temp\ping.txt and then use something like the
FIND command on the ping.txt file to search for successful replies.

Better yet, if you have $100, you can purchase and use IPsentry which will
do all this for you, and it can call your pager or cell phone, and keeps
historical statistics, and you can set it up to not test the password if the
device does not respond to pings.