Nimda is bothering too much..

From: bhavana (bhavana_21@yahoo.com)
Date: 05/15/02

From: "bhavana" <bhavana_21@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 11:46:34 -0700

Hi

  My system was corrupted with Nimda virus. Though I could
remove it using the antivirus software, I was suggested to
format and re-install windows , and I did the same.
Now after formating and installing it reappeared, don't
know from where,within few hours of re-installation.
Could be from my back-up files or either because I was
connected to net. But I hardly downloaded any stuff from
the net nor do my back-up files are corrupted to the best
of my knowledge.
  So I deleted the files that were corrupted by the virus.
I deleted Admin.dll , which the virus creates at its
initial stages and then some files from inetpub/scripts
which were created by the virus.After that, I checked the
system for any viruses by running the antivirus software.
It says virus-free.
  Do you think there is some security hazard or is my
system prone to more such attacks . Does deleting the virus
require formating the system again. No major files have
been deleted I guess.
  Are there any free downloads of antivirus software,
which can remove the bugs totally.And suppose if a system
is corrupted and a bug-free tool has been run to
remove/repair/delete the virus, do we need re-installation.
Atleast re-installation of the programs that were
corrupted? I guess re-installation is only if you think
your system has been totally corrupted or if you think
there is a security hazard. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Nimda is bothering too much..
    ... > know from where,within few hours of re-installation. ... > So I deleted the files that were corrupted by the virus. ... > system for any viruses by running the antivirus software. ... > require formating the system again. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Nimda is bothering too much..
    ... Symantec puts out some virus removal tools the website is: ... > know from where,within few hours of re-installation. ... > require formating the system again. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: HELP ON XP RE-INSTALLATION...
    ... > IF I REINSTALL XP ON MY COMPUTER HELP IF I HAVE A VIRUS THAT I CANT ... Don't have an AntiVirus software? ... There are more applications you may need to run to completely clean your ... It will probably save you time and effort in re-installing Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: RE-INSTALLING XP
    ... > IF I REINSTALL XP ON MY COMPUTER HELP IF I HAVE A VIRUS THAT I CANT ... Don't have an AntiVirus software? ... There are more applications you may need to run to completely clean your ... It will probably save you time and effort in re-installing Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: OE6s *.dbx files cached somewhere in Win2000 environment?
    ... Maintenance | Store Folder. ... > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ... Because of this tendency of attachments to infect, ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ...