Re: System Log tools

From: x y (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 05/13/02

From: "x y" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 12:41:52 -0400

I believe there are a number of utilities that will spit a windows NT log to
a central syslog server, so that you could also enable syslog on the linux
servers. This has the added benefit of making the logs perhaps more
reliable and harder to erase if the systems are compromised, but means that
logging may fail if the network connection between the two systems becomes
troubled in any way. try searching google for "syslog NT download freeware"

I might recommend putting all the windows logs into one log file and the
linux logs into another file, but it's all up to what you want.

"Craig Matchan" <cwiggles@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> firstly, if this is covered in a FAQ somewhere, please point me to it.
>
> Can anyone point me to some s/w that will collate system/event log files
> from numerous Win2k / Linux servers and consolidate them into one report?
> Basically I have quite a few Win2k and Linux servers and it's becoming a
> pain having to check all the event/system logs for each one. It would be
> nice if I could consolidate them all somehow. The only product I've come
> accross is from Altair Technologies (referenced on www.eventid.net web
> site).
>
> Anyway, if anyone has any recomendations for other similar products I
would
> like to hear from them.
>
> tia
>
> Craig

Relevant Pages

  • Re: User Auditing
    ... We have servers in our environment by which multiple people ... can issue commands as either themselves or as root. ... And the pam bit that logs keystrokes to auditd does log every keypress. ... Subject: User Auditing ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Bad news about Tor
    ... A "privacy service" would be ideal. ... Attack truly anonymous methods like Tor even though it ... keeps logs and lies about it, but got caught using them to track people ... Servers in the US are a lot safer that servers in most other places, ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: system container in SMS 2003
    ... These logs don't show any AD publishing activity. ... "Publish servers in Active Directory" and subsequent log entries for ... >>> Then I went through and found the system management folder and didn't ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.setup)
  • RE: Event log counts...
    ... logs on 47 web servers and all logs on 6 domain controllers and we are ... Subject: Event log counts... ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Server loses network - bizzare behavior
    ... doing anything to the hardware on these servers. ... All errors, except id 12, states about connectivity to the domain DNS servers, ... see Help and Support Center at ... Then a few minutes later in the Application logs this error start ...