Re: Connecting internal network to the Internet

From: x y (jamescagney90210@excite.com)
Date: 05/09/02

From: "x y" <jamescagney90210@excite.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 10:04:05 -0400

"Lohkee" <lohkee@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:HmkC8.13257$vT1.1049924@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> I am trying to compile a comprehensive list of risks faced by an
> organization when they connect their internal network to the Internet or
> allow personal use of Email/Internet from a company workstation, i.e.,
> possible methods of attack such as virus infected email being downloaded
> from a web-based private e-mail account and thereby bypassing anti-virus
> software on the organization's "normal" mail server, etc. Any suggestions
> would be gratefully recieved.

If you really want to be comprehensive, and you want to then do something to
mitigate those risks, there's no substitute for doing the research yourself
until you can answer the question yourself. I like all the books from
Osborne/Foundstone for good introductions to computer security, such as
Hacking Exposed vol.3, and Incident Response, and maybe Hacker's Challenge
just for fun. They're not expensive and not too long to read, and fairly
comprehensive.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Connecting internal network to the Internet
    ... > I am trying to compile a comprehensive list of risks faced by an ... > organization when they connect their internal network to the Internet or ... > possible methods of attack such as virus infected email being downloaded ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Connecting internal network to the Internet
    ... > I am trying to compile a comprehensive list of risks faced by an ... > organization when they connect their internal network to the Internet or ... > possible methods of attack such as virus infected email being downloaded ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: Connecting internal network to the Internet
    ... > I am trying to compile a comprehensive list of risks faced by an ... > organization when they connect their internal network to the Internet or ... > possible methods of attack such as virus infected email being downloaded ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Connecting internal network to the Internet
    ... I am trying to compile a comprehensive list of risks faced by an ... organization when they connect their internal network to the Internet or ... possible methods of attack such as virus infected email being downloaded ... from a web-based private e-mail account and thereby bypassing anti-virus ...
    (comp.security.misc)