Re: "Access is denied" when trying to access a permitted folder

From: Kripes (asdf@asdf.com)
Date: 05/07/02

From: "Kripes" <asdf@asdf.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 10:04:36 -0400

Looks like the directory is corrupt. The Access Denied error isn't related
to security...that folder is screwed in such a way that Windows thinks you
don't have access to it.

I don't have any advice on how to delete it, though.

"David White" <DavidfWhite@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Subject: "Access is denied" when trying to access a permitted folder
>
> Windows 2000 Professional.
> Not connected to network and no application is running.
> Administrator mode (user mode same situation).
>
> Message says NOTHING as to the reason for the denial.
> Even though the folder's security indicades full control is checked on,
> administrator can not access nor delete.
> Can rename or copy it.
>
> When looking at the folder's properties, it says:
> Size: 0 bytes
> Size on disk: 0 bytes
> Contains 0 Files, 0 Folders
>
> Nevetheless, when trying to drag it to the Recycle Bin, it says:
>
> Cannot delete <folder_name>: The directory is not empty.
>
> Run the CHKDSK /F.
> SCANDISK says that it faces a problem it can not fix.
>
> Anybody saw such a problem?
> Know any tool that would tell WHY is the acces denied? And/or help in
> resolving the conplict?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Administrator access
    ... Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. ... How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Pro/Home) ...
  • Re: Error Deleting File or Folder
    ... files (access denied error) ... How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP ... How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and ...
  • Re: Reinstalled windows xp and have some problems
    ... After you installed Windows, did you also install all the Dell drivers, ... Right click the "Shared" folder, and make sure that it is set to be ... i put in the shared folder with my user account i get access denied error. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Cannot Delete A Folder
    ... You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume ... MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES ... files (access denied error) ... How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: recover compacted folders
    ... Because of this tendency of attachments to infect, ... , then wasted space is generated in that file, and the folder must be ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...