Domain vs Workgroup

From: will (will_k@hotmail.com)
Date: 05/06/02

From: "will" <will_k@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 08:37:14 -0700

you will have change all the ip addresses to your home
units to be on the same network. you have to make sure
that your ip address is private otherwise it will try and
get onto the internet and then you will run into a dns
issue. if all the goes well you will then be able to see
your other shares. you will not be able to share folders
on your machine (laptop). also double check with you sys
admin from your office to make sure that it's ok to do
this.

will

bring
>my laptop (Win 2000) from work and hook it to my LAN, I
>can ping each machine, but I cannot see or access either
>one for file sharing.
>
>The laptop from work is part of a domain and uses a
fixed
>IP. I don't want to change all the network settings on
>the laptop just to use it at home. How can I get the
>laptop to see the workgroup that I have at home? Any
ideas?

>Notes:
>-file sharing is turned on for both machines and is
bound
>to TCP/IP
>-For the laptop, I use a different ethernet card at home
>than at work so I don't have to change the IP address
>(router at home provides DHCP service)
>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: No access to SATA drives thru LAN network. Something to do with security?
    ... On my desktop I have 4 SATA drives which I cannot access from my laptop: Windows says I have no permission. ... Run the Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. ... If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" which acts as a firewall, ... If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off Simple File Sharing and create identical user accounts/passwords on all computers. ...
  • Re: Home Network Problem - File Sharing
    ... I am having a problem with my home network. ... (good laptop for name purpose) ... Now I have no problems accessing the internet with any of the computers. ... enabled to enable file sharing, ...
  • Re: Simple networking?
    ... New laptop using XP Media Centre/SP2. ... I have turned off XP firewall on both since I'm using Zone ... Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, ... Simple File Sharing and create identical user ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Network/Security issue with $ shares
    ... the Windows XP Professional group, as it pertains to both Operating Systems. ... I am on a wired/wireless home network, ... The laptop is able to access all files on the PC using the default ... With simple file sharing, there are ...