Re: Backup to a network share

Thank you for your answer. I will try to run sqlserver service under a domain account, since the data is very confidential (no admin has access, only the managing director...). So to give the computer account access is not the way...
Regards!
UK, Dresden, Germany

"Dan Guzman" <guzmanda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:47D14935-F4F7-4358-9DB0-9C8E370EB5BB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What have I to do, that the backup runs not unter the account of the computer, but of mydomain\me? The SQL Server service runs as NT Authority\networkservice, the SQL Server agent (which shall make the backups at the end of the day) runs under a domain user account.

AFAIK, the SQL Server service account must have permissions to the share for BACKUP/RESTORE. The Best Practice is to run SQL Server services under a domain account with minimal permissions, including the needed permissions to the share. Alternatively, you can backup locally and then copy the backup file remotely via a second SQL Server Agent job step that runs under a proxy account that has share permissions.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/

  • Re: Problems changing the password for the service account in SQL
    ... Adding the domain account which runs SQL Server into SQL Server doesn't ... Server if it is running under the domain account. ... Admin-SQL, Logon Exec - exception from ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Problems changing the password for the service account in SQL
    ... It is because there is BULTIN\Administrstors Login that alllow access to ... You have a domaim account group that SQL Server ... this domain account in SQL Server ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Get "credentials not valid" message installing SQL2008 Failver
    ... The user account (domain account) has to be pre-created. ... The network name gets created during the install process. ... Microsoft SQL Server MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: Installation - What Account is needed?
    ... Because, when you change your SQL Server' s service account's password from your Active Directory, it won't be updated automatically at the SQL Server server and when your SQL Server service restarts, it'd compain about the wrong password. ... it does not mean your SQL Server services have to be running under the account which you installed the mentioned SQL Server instance. ... I understand you are asking about the required account to install a SQL ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: xpsql.cpp
    ... The SQL Server service account also needs the rights below. ... > SQLAgentCmdExec login in EM and restarting SQL Server can help. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)