Re: Connecting to SQL

Hi Erland.

The error message is... SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Regarding setup. Initially tried windows authentication and then when this
failed tried SQL authentication.

Jonathan

"Erland Sommarskog" wrote:

Jonathan (Jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) writes:
Hi using SQL2005. I have an access database connected to a sql database.
Everything was fine until about 3 weeks ago. Since then the access ui
cannot connect to the sql database. I have checked for system updates
and none.

Cannot connect means what? Do they get an error message? In such case,
could you share it?

The interesting thing is that if the user is made a local admin the
access database or Excel workbook can connect successfully. However the
network guys do not want this.

The other interesting thing is that I connected to a PC remotely and the
connection worked (I logged on as a user without local admin rights).
Since then, users on this PC can now connect to the sql database
successfully (still not local admin). So the question is what setting
changed when I logged on to a PC remotely that now allows users from
then on to successfully connect to sql database.

There is very little information about the set up. Do you use
Windows authentication or SQL authentication?

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Links for SQL Server Books Online: