Re: Connecting to SQL

Hi Erland.

The error message is... SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Regarding setup. Initially tried windows authentication and then when this
failed tried SQL authentication.

Jonathan

"Erland Sommarskog" wrote:

Jonathan (Jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) writes:
Hi using SQL2005. I have an access database connected to a sql database.
Everything was fine until about 3 weeks ago. Since then the access ui
cannot connect to the sql database. I have checked for system updates
and none.

Cannot connect means what? Do they get an error message? In such case,
could you share it?

The interesting thing is that if the user is made a local admin the
access database or Excel workbook can connect successfully. However the
network guys do not want this.

The other interesting thing is that I connected to a PC remotely and the
connection worked (I logged on as a user without local admin rights).
Since then, users on this PC can now connect to the sql database
successfully (still not local admin). So the question is what setting
changed when I logged on to a PC remotely that now allows users from
then on to successfully connect to sql database.

There is very little information about the set up. Do you use
Windows authentication or SQL authentication?

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

  • Re: integrated security over vpn
    ... SQL 2000 is using Windows Authentication, and I can access tables, Stored ... > Are you using Windows authentication with SQL Server or SQL Server ... > easy to do on a home machine scenario as I would expect the home machine ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • RE: Error 18456, Severity 14, State 16
    ... When connecting from a remote machine I get the following issues. ... SQL Server Management Stuidio? ... When you try to log in to an SQL Database remotely it does ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • Re: Q: Named pipes and Windows (integrated) authentication
    ... >By the way, if you don't have SQL Enterprise Manager, there's an MSDE ... >>>his windows authentication to connect to the server. ... >>>Creating databases is only acomplished after you've already connected. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: Q: Named pipes and Windows (integrated) authentication
    ... SQL Tools - he's referring to SQL Query Analyzer and SQL Enterprise Manager ... If you don't have a full copy of SQL Server 2K you're not ... but you'll replace the Domain with the Workgroup name. ... >>his windows authentication to connect to the server. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • RE: MELL and SQL
    ... At this point I'm logged in as admin and since ... have the necessary permissions for the installation. ... > Most third party apps don't use Windows Authentication, they use SQL ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)