Re: basic questions

Normally you don't want a schema for each user. The upgrade created them so
that nothing would break. The do-no-harm model.
Better is for each user to have a default schema that makes sense for each
user. For example, the AdventureWorks database creates a Sales schema. All
the sales people would have Sales as their default schema. The upgrade
doesn't know which users-schema combination make sense.
--
Rick Byham, MSFT
(Implies no warranty or rights)

"Keith G Hicks" <krh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm converting a SQL 2000 db to SQL 2005 but I have some basic questions.
In a test, it created schemas for all the user logins. I thought I
understood what a schema was but this made me wonder. The db owner is
"sa" and all the object owners were dbo. Why would it create schemas for
all the logins? Also, where can I go for a short basic explanation of SQL
2005 security? I've been working with BOL but there's a lot there. I'm
not looking for a 600 page book as useful as that might be. I just want a
good overview that defines the basics. Somethign that's maybe a few pages
adn then I can go deeper after that. I've always found SQL security a bit
confusing and unintuitive. So something basic to start would be very
helpful.

THanks,

Keith

  • Re: Missing one of the "default Password Replication Policy groups
    ... I'd like to post the log EBS Schema Upgrade Tools Log, ... Business Server Schema Upgrade Tool is about to upgrade your ... Windows Server 2008 schema level. ...
  • Re: Upgrading a DC from 2000 to 2003 ?
    ... no need to upgrade first. ... >>> is telling me to take the schema master offline to run the ... >> replicate to ohter DCs is by disabling replication in the sending ...
  • Re: Missing one of the "default Password Replication Policy groups
    ... I'd like to post the log EBS Schema Upgrade Tools Log, ... Business Server Schema Upgrade Tool is about to upgrade your ... Windows Server 2008 schema level. ...
  • Re: Upgrading a DC from 2000 to 2003 ?
    ... I performed the upgrade to the domain last ... >> is telling me to take the schema master offline to run the ... > replicate to ohter DCs is by disabling replication in the sending ...
  • Re: Missing one of the "default Password Replication Policy groups
    ... I’d like to post the log EBS Schema Upgrade Tools Log, ... Business Server Schema Upgrade Tool is about to upgrade your schema to the ... Windows Server 2008 schema level. ...