Re: Can't re-save a Table

King Coffee (kcoffee@xxxxxxxxxxx) writes:
I'm new to MSSQL. I created a database in SQL Server Management Studio
2008. Then I created a table. When I try to re-save it - I get the
following error message:

Saving changes is not permitted... You have either made changes to a table
that can't be re-created or enabled the option Prevent saving changes that
require the table to be re-created.

How can I enable table recreating ?

Dan told you how to remove the roadblock, but you should be aware of that
it is there for a reason. When you make changes to a table where the Table
Designer feels compelled to recreate the table, you are on very dangerous
grounds. To wit, this is an area where the Table Designer has very
serious flaws, and I would advice you to if you ever made the change
that Dan suggested that you undo it.

First try to use ALTER TABLE to your changes - that's one of the flaws
of the Table Designer, it does not use ALTER TABLE even when it could.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

  • Re: Enterprise Manager confusion
    ... the QA would outweigh the once-per-load/save slowness in the View designer. ... Now, on my new laptop, I have what I thought was the same version of SQL ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools)
  • Re: Enterprise Manager confusion
    ... like table positions and column sizes weren't displayed, ... Now, on my new laptop, I have what I thought was the same version of SQL ... the View designer over a VPN connection (sometimes 30-60 seconds or even ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools)
  • Re: How do I run a .BAS file saved from a DTS package?
    ... Allan Mitchell MCSE,MCDBA, (Microsoft SQL Server MVP) ... I have used DTS for import and export. ... > The DTS Designer is easy to understand and use. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.dts)
  • Re: Move Access Table to SQL Server
    ... Importing the table from within the SQL Server Mangagement Studio. ... "Saving changes is not permitted. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.externaldata)
  • RE: Getting File Handle from FileStream Column
    ... but it seems its very sensitive when i rearange the columns positions in ... Do not use the table designer in Mgmt Studio to modify your tables. ... Links for SQL Server Books Online: ...