Re: object can't be accessed unless owner is specified - SQL 2000

THE.Ronald (THERonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) writes:
Sune was not mapped to dbo - nothing at all was, not even sa (odd, I
know, but I've seen it - this is a vendor database). That was true
before and after the restore. Sune had the database role of dbo and was
the schema before and after as well.

The 3rd party backup/recovery software we use (the account) became the
database owner, but not dbo. That I think, is important.

Hm, what happens is that there is a mismatch between the sid for uid = 1
in sysusers in the database, and the owner sid in the database. I don't
really recall this causing problems in SQL 2000. But it is a common
problem when you have restored a database on a different server with
SQL 2005, and you want to create database diagrams in that database.
(Probably in more situations as well.)

The workaround is usually to change the database owner. I think this
should have worked in your case as well.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

  • Re: Migration ?
    ... I've tried every way I can think of trying to restore the master database. ... Will a restore on the SQL ... Install a SQL Server failover cluster instance ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • Re: Restore leaves DB in Loading state
    ... state of loading after the database restore - rather than in read only. ... > leave SQL restore hanging until it could write to that file. ... > I support the Professional Association for SQL Server ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: SQL restore sets password to Null
    ... Mapping Logins & SIDs after a Restore ... How to Resolve Permission Issues When a Database Is Moved Between SQL ... Looking for a SQL Server replication book? ... Steve wrote:> I have to move a sql database from one server to another - I backed up my> database in enterprise manager by selecting the database then clicking on the> backup database option. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: How do i move an SQLDatabase to another location?
    ... I went to my clients and installed SQL Server ... Express and copied my database to the same location it was in while i was ... knowing that i can bring a database with me and install ...
  • Fixed
    ... I also found this article that gives the proper way to move system dbs in sql 2008: ... The model exists where the master states it exists. ... This is the error log prior to detaching the model database. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)