Re: office security updates related to SQL2005?

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Xns9B86E66173E28Yazorman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
geekyguy (geeky@xxxxxxx) writes:
Hi: I have sql2005 sp2 installed on server2008 sp1.

I have integration tools installed for SQL.

When I run automatic updates, a large list of Office-related updates
appear in the list, including:

Office 2003 sp3
Office 2007 sp1
miscellaneous security updates for Office 2007

Do I need to install these updates, even if I'm the only person
accessing the server from Remote Desktop and the only person accessing
SQL server via SQL SMS?

And you have not installed Office on the machine as far as you know?

I think the reason you are offered these, because you some OWC components
at least with SQL 2005. (OWC = Office W-something Components).

I guess that if you don't have the rest of Office on the box, that it is
unlikely that you will use OWC, in which case the Office updates doesn't
matter. Then again, they are not likely to hurt.

But, personally, I always decline updates on Office components that I
don't have. I can't see why I should waste cycles on fixes to Outlook
which I would never let it near a machine that I own.

Thanks Erland...I'm sure Office is not installed...and the only reason there's any of it installed is because (I think) when you install "integration services" it installs Office components that allow you to import/parse Excel files and export to other Office-type document formats.

  • Re: change productcode for SQL 2005 installation
    ... But Updates can be applied with the upgradecode of the msi-file. ... We install the SQL Server 2005 with an own ... Wen we deinstall, we want to manage this with the following command: ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Vista SP2 Windows Update KB970012, error 80070641
    ... I've been trying for weeks to install this update, along with a MS SQL 2008 ... All updates were always successful until 5/16/09, when the nVidia started to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Issues after installing ISA 2004 SP1
    ... We have a couple of clients who have Windows server 2003 premium servers ... Recently i have installed SP1 for SBS and all other updates according to the ... The only thing i waited with was SQL SP4 and ISA ... After installing the ISA 2004 update according to the install notes the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: office security updates related to SQL2005?
    ... I have integration tools installed for SQL. ... When I run automatic updates, a large list of Office-related updates ... Do I need to install these updates, even if I'm the only person ... SQL server via SQL SMS? ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Office components removed after February updates !
    ... There isn't anything that I'm aware of in the Office updates that would remove an installed application. ... several workstations all Office components have been removed (Office is still visible at Add/remove Programs). ... Add/Remove Programs to select the components and then install them again. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)