Re: Failed upgrade and removal

anythingit (u47438@uwe) writes:
I have a SBS 2003 Sp2 box that had it's OS installed by Dell and shipped
to customers site.

While configuring the system, and attempt was made to move the Sql
Databases from C: to D: as well as updated the Update Services to
version 3.

There is no desire by the customer to have WSUS installed on the machine
sense there are only 5 XP boxes on the network so this can be completely
removed if necessary.

The problem is the Application Event Logs are filling up with 2 repeating
errors:

Event ID: 421
Connection to database failed. Reason=Cannot open database "SUSDB"
requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'.. Connection string:
Net=dbnmpntw;Data Source=\\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query;;Initial
Catalog=SUSDB;Connection Timeout=60;Application Name=WSUS SQL
Connection;Trusted_Connection=Yes;Pooling='true'; Max Pool Size = 100

Apparently the database SUSDB does not exist.

How you should fix it, I don't know, because I don't know what this
SUSDB is supposed to achieve. You say something about "no desire by the
customer to have WSUS installed", but since I don't know what WSUS
that does not make me that much wiser. But possibly it indicates that
the solution is not to create a SUSDB database, but find out who is
knocking on the door, and stop him from doing that.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Links for SQL Server Books Online: