RE: Msg 15404: Could not obtain information about user

Hi Jason,
Thank you for your detail response.

I think that there are two questions left in front of us:
1. Why did Kerberos authentication have not been established in your SQL
Server instance?
2. Can this issue be worked around by using a SQL user account if Kerberos
authentication could not be setup?

Regarding the 1st question, I looked through our posts again and I am sorry
that I omitted some points of your description. I noticed that you could
work around this issue by adding your SQL Server service account to domain
administrators and registering the SPN with the domain user account. This
is expected since only a domain administrator account or the local system
account has the required permissions to register an SPN. By default, SQL
Server will try to register SPN for itself with its service account at
startup, therefore, if the SQL Server service is started under a
non-administrator account, SQL Server cannot register the SPN for the
instance.
Your concern was that you did not want to have your SQL Server service run
under a domain admin account. This can be guaranteed. Actually you can
register SPN for your SQL Server instance with a different domain user
account that is a domain admin, but leave your SQL Server service running
under a normal domain user account.
Please try this again.

Regarding the 2nd question, I think that you can try either of the
following two methods to see if they help:
1. If your database owner is a domain user account, run "sp_changedbowner
'sa'" to change your database owner to the SQL login account.
You can check what your database owner is by right clicking your database
in SSMS and click Properties, and then you can find Owner field under
General tab;

2. Create a SQL login account [sqltest] and assign the fixed database role
db_owner to it on your database, and then run "CREATE TRIGGER
[dbo].[MyTable_MyUpdateTrigger] ON [dbo].[MyTable] WITH EXECUTE AS
'sqltest'"

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel
free to let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your
comments and suggestions about how we can improve the
support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my manager
know what you think of the level of service provided. You can
send feedback directly to my manager at: msdnmg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Compromise?
    ... Yes, if you don't provide a password on your SA account, anybody able to run ... and connect now has complete control over your SQL Server. ... Server has. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Windows Auth to SQL Server from ATL Web Service not working...
    ... account I'm logged on as. ... SQL on a different box from my web service in an Atl Server web ... impersonation token is not passed on to the SQL Server. ... Event Category: Account Logon ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.atl)
  • Re: Discussing 3 different strategies for deleting from multiple tables
    ... I will be using SQL Server but I am riding on top of a third party ... FYI, Account contains around 20K ... >>> This results in one parameterized query followed by two more trips to ...
    (microsoft.public.data.ado)
  • RE: connection problems in secondary site and SQL server
    ... Do you have a Windows 2003 server anywhere in your environment? ... i can't add this account to this group. ... SMS Management Point encountered an error when connecting to its Database ... SMS on SQL Server My_Primary_SMS_Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • RE: MP Install issue
    ... Will setting the SPN on the domain account fix the communication issue ... >> MPDB ERROR - CONNECTION PARAMETERS ... >> with a trusted SQL Server connection. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.setup)