Using CA issued Certificates for SQL Certificate Encryption

I am trying to create a certificate in SQL Server 2005 using the CREATE
CERTIFICATE TSQL statement, however, the certificates that I have are in CER
and PFX format - for some reason, SQL Server 2005 is requiring a PVK file
rather than the Microsoft standard private key exchange format of PFX.

Anyway, I have the PFX file, and I tried to supply that as the private key,
hoping that perhaps SQL Server was smart enough to use (convert) the PFX
Microsoft standard format for private key files.... no luck....

I've found at least one freeware utility to convert PFX to PVK - however,
I'm a little cautious in using freeware utilities from unknown sources to
manipulate something as important as my certificate files.

Does anyone know how to convert PFX files to PVK files using a Microsoft
supplied toolset, or some way to get SQL 2005 to accept the PFX file?

I've found examples using makecert.exe - however, I already have the
Certificate that was issued by a trusted certificate authority that I'm
trying to use for this function, rather than making one from scratch.

Thanks in advance!

Jediah L.

  • HOWTO: SQL Server SSL On A Cluster
    ... This post describes issues concerning the implementation of SSL ... certificates on SQL Server 2000 clusters. ... cluster and failover is working, ... DC is running a certificate authority, and that the CA is configured ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • HOWTO: SQL Server SSL On A Cluster
    ... This post describes issues concerning the implementation of SSL ... certificates on SQL Server 2000 clusters. ... cluster and failover is working, ... DC is running a certificate authority, and that the CA is configured ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver)
  • Re: SQL Server 2005 SP2 fails in upgrading Database service
    ... Clearing the certificate had no success. ... I suspect there's a problem with the permissions of the SQL Server service ... SQL Server Database Services 2005 ENU SP2 ... This is an informational message only; no user action is ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: SQL Server 2005 SP2 fails in upgrading Database service
    ... Clearing the certificate had no success. ... I suspect there's a problem with the permissions of the SQL Server service ... This is an informational message only; no user action is ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: Issues with SSL on Win CE 5.0
    ... creating the .pfx file, the private keys need to be marked as exportable so ... the server certificate you're trying to add is present under ... and tell the web server to use it. ... The old cert was in. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)