Re: Where are the permissions documented?

I agree, and it's my job to fix that. I haven't done it for the SQL Server 2008 docs that will be on the CD, but I have hopes for the first web release that should be available at the time SQL Server 2008 is released.
--
Rick Byham (MSFT), SQL Server Books Online

"Erland Sommarskog" <esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Xns9A7CF0F388763Yazorman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
David Walker (none@xxxxxxxx) writes:
Under what topic in BOL is the meaning of the various permissions such as
"Alter", "References", etc., documented?

In other words, where is it documented, what you can DO if you have been
granted "References" or "Impersonate" permission on a securable?

I'm looking in SQL 2005.

I have looked in Permissions:listed and Permissions:objects and
Permissions:types, and several other topics, but no luck so far. It's as
if the meanings of the various permissions are supposed to be obvious.

Permissions:listed shows some of them; it explains "Alter" but not
"Delete", for example. Some of the permissions, such as "References", are
not documented anywhere that I can find.

That's a good question. Generally, I find permissions and security
in general to be underdocumented. You have to guess and read between
the lines a lot. Unforunately, the SQL 2008 Books Online does not seem
any better.

I was able to find some sort of definition in Books Online SQL 2000:

The REFERENCES permission on a table is needed in order to create a
FOREIGN KEY constraint that references that table.

The REFERENCES permission is needed on an object in order to create a
FUNCTION or VIEW with the WITH SCHEMABINDING clause that references
that object.

Searching on "REFERENCES permission" in Books Online gives you some more
cases on where it is needed, but since you get a lot of hits in SMO, it's
difficult to see the wood for the trees.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at

  • Re: Grant access to applications only
    ... but to deny a direct user login e.g. via management studio. ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: ALTER PARTITION FUNCTION PartFunc() MERGE RANGE & blocking
    ... I hope MS fix this livelock problem in the next service pack. ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools)
  • Re: IDENT_CURRENT and empty table
    ... >> And there is no definition what the result will be after fixing the bug. ... Books Online for 2005 is wrong and will be updated. ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)
  • Re: sorting twice?!
    ... So I run a query to select the top 20 when ordered by datemodified ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at ...
    (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)
  • Re: Rolling up spans without breaks between them
    ... CREATE TABLE periods (start datetime NOT NULL, ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at ...
    (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)