Re: permissions not working

On Feb 15, 6:21 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
JEM (J...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) writes:
Hi. I have a SQL Server 2000 database,using Windows Authentication,
and have created some new roles and assigned permissions to the
various tables, views and sprocs.  However, the permissions are not
working.  When I log on as a user in one of the roles, i still have
access to insert, update, delete records in tables that i have
specifically denied permissions on (they should only have select
permissions which they have).  I am able to log onto Query Analyzer
and do everything with the table that i should not be able to do. The
user is only a member of public and this role.  The objects are all
owned by dbo.  Any ideas?

If you say "SELECT USER" what does it say? The name of this user or
does it by chance say "dbo"? In the latter case your login somehow
is a sysadmin member and is of course able to do anything.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 athttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books...
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 athttp://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

Thanks for the help! When I do SELECT USER it does give me dbo. I am
not an expert with networking or with SQL server. Does this mean that
at the windows NT level they have sysadmin rights because I did not
give them these rights on the database?

  • Re: Delegate Power of God to only 1 database - How?
    ... Guess I'll have to look more closely at the permissions ... >I support the Professional Association for SQL Server ... >> permissions to only that database which can be assigned ... >>>Exactly what is this 'dBO' role you are referring to? ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • ADP, Application Role, and objects
    ... The above link is to an atricle on how to implement SQL Server Application ... After you connect with your ADP, fire a bit of code to set the ... third party tools to view the data on the same database. ... Scenario 1 - If I explicitly grant permissions on that object to the user ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • That is permission problem
    ... SQL Server 2005 can't attach database on Windows Vista ... It seems it must be a permissions problem. ... What is the service account for SQL Server? ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools)
  • Re: field level security question
    ... Vyas, MVP ... listBox control that gets data from a query of the sql server table. ... > recent change in requirement) I see the option to limit permissions right ... > utility opens except their is just no data. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • RE: SQL 2008 - remote connection to the SSIS 2008 - Access denied
    ... SQL Server configures the appropriate rights during the installation process, ... then add users/groups and assign the appropriate permissions. ... user who created the package apply to the writer role. ... I checked DCOM MsDts component and my user rights for the Remote ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.dts)