Re: SQL Services account question...

I wish you'd say the reason of not using a domain account as a service account for the SQL Server. Just trying to help and make things clear, OK?

Backup operations are performed by SQL Server service, at this point I don't know what goes on under hood exactly but SQL Server service may be needed to communicate to the AD for validation of the database owner and as the SQL Server service is a local one, it can't achieve this task.

--
Ekrem Önsoy

"Joe" <Joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:130C7954-0197-4711-883C-D9A73A2733F3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you for restating the obvious.

My real question is how should I best address this?

"Ekrem Önsoy" wrote:

A SQL Server server which is part of a domain and its service is not a
domain account. Why not? Because using a domain account as a SQL Server
service account is a recommended way.

My guess is, you get the error because SQL Server service can't communicate
with your AD server as it's a local service.

--

> OK, here's my problem.
>
> I have a SQL 2005 Server that is part of a domain. The SQL services > start
> with a
> local account and not a domain account. The issue I am seeing is that
> when
> I go
> to backup a database that is owned by a Domain account the querying of > AD
> for the
> account information fails. Error below:
>
> [298] SQLServer Error: 15404, Could not obtain information about > Windows
> NT
> group/user
>
> Then in the Security event log I get an error at the same time that
> states:
>
> An error occurred during logon
> Source: Security Event ID: 537
>
> So the question is, how can I get this to work correctly? Should I > just
> change the owner of the database?
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

  • Re: .NET and SQL Server on Separate Machines
    ... add this domain account as a valid login to your sql server. ... Everything was running correctly when the database ... > The connection string in our web.config file originally looked like this: ...
  • Re: .NET and SQL Server on Separate Machines
    ... add this domain account as a valid login to your sql server. ... Everything was running correctly when the database ... > The connection string in our web.config file originally looked like this: ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • RE: SQL 2008 Error 18456 Severity 14 State 11
    ... create a new Domain account with limited permissions on domain and grant it ... For new database login, you should not need to give it any permissions. ... account on that computer is invalid on SQL Server. ... domain account that is same across all computers with same SID you shouldn't ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
    ... IIS to use that domain account as its process identity. ... > access to the database it and it worked just so fine. ... i am installing my asp.net app and database to a new production ... > now i get an error "SQL Server does not exist or access denied". ...
  • Re: Linked Server Connection Problem
    ... Use SQL authentication to connect to the SQL server from the client, ... set the domain account used to start SQL Server to have permissions in the ... Establish a SPN for your domain account which will enable Kerberos ... Load the Active Directory Users and Computers MMC snap-in. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)