Re: SQL Services account question...

A SQL Server server which is part of a domain and its service is not a domain account. Why not? Because using a domain account as a SQL Server service account is a recommended way.

My guess is, you get the error because SQL Server service can't communicate with your AD server as it's a local service.

--
Ekrem Önsoy

"Joe" <Joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:D75D7153-C26E-43A3-96BB-59C533F4031A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK, here's my problem.

I have a SQL 2005 Server that is part of a domain. The SQL services start
with a
local account and not a domain account. The issue I am seeing is that when
I go
to backup a database that is owned by a Domain account the querying of AD
for the
account information fails. Error below:

[298] SQLServer Error: 15404, Could not obtain information about Windows NT
group/user

Then in the Security event log I get an error at the same time that states:

An error occurred during logon
Source: Security Event ID: 537

So the question is, how can I get this to work correctly? Should I just
change the owner of the database?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

  • Re: Linked Server Connection Problem
    ... Use SQL authentication to connect to the SQL server from the client, ... set the domain account used to start SQL Server to have permissions in the ... Establish a SPN for your domain account which will enable Kerberos ... Load the Active Directory Users and Computers MMC snap-in. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: SQL Services account question...
    ... I wish you'd say the reason of not using a domain account as a service account for the SQL Server. ... Backup operations are performed by SQL Server service, at this point I don't know what goes on under hood exactly but SQL Server service may be needed to communicate to the AD for validation of the database owner and as the SQL Server service is a local one, it can't achieve this task. ... > Source: Security Event ID: 537 ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Login failed for user NT AUTHORITYANONYMOUS LOGON
    ... >>I've enabled anonymous access, setting it to the correct domain account, ... >> the correct permissions in sql server ... > That means the local user permissions, the SQL Server, etc. ... >> c) I've enabled anonymous access, setting it to the correct domain account, ...
  • Re: Problems changing the password for the service account in SQL
    ... Adding the domain account which runs SQL Server into SQL Server doesn't ... Server if it is running under the domain account. ... Admin-SQL, Logon Exec - exception from ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: FAILURE installing WSS with Active Directory auth
    ... SQL Server should also be running under a Domain Account. ... Did you add IIS after the server was promoted to a DC? ... > - local admin as well as admins in AD. ...