Re: AWE Memory

Thanks Andrew,
I agree! That SQL Server is using over 4GB without Lock Pages permission. Is
that really possible or the Performane Monitor is displaying wrong result?

"Andrew J. Kelly" <sqlmvpnooospam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Any app can use up to 2GB of memory by default. Lock Pages is mainly for
memory above 4GB.

--
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
Solid Quality Mentors

"Leila" <Leilas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi all,
Today I was working on a server and I noticed that it's processor is 64
bit while the OS is Windows 2003 32 bit.
The PAE switch was added to boot.ini, AWE option was enabled for SQL
Server but the service account was not granted the permission of Lock
Page in gpedit.msc.
Performance monitor indicated that SQL Server is using 5.1GB memory out
of total 6GB.
My question is that how SQL Server was using 5.1GB of memory while it
didn't have Lock Page permission.
Thanks in advance,
Leila

  • Re: Locking pages in memory
    ... I have confirmed that SQL Server Standard 64-bit does not use locked pages in memory, even if available in the OS. ... There are some complex reasons behind this, but basically, if you are running on 64-bit Windows, you probably don't need to lock pages in memory. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: Locking pages in memory
    ... I've just checked the history of the Memory Architecture topic. ... So I think the 64-bit Standard does not support locked pages in memory. ... Rick Byham, SQL Server Books Online ... the account SQL runs under) the permission to lock pages in memory. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: Locking pages in memory
    ... Lock Pages in Memory is not a SQL Server option. ... It is the AWE option that is a SQL Server setting, and you don't need AWE when running 64 bit SQL Server. ... Is Locked pages in memory useful in 32-bit SQL Standard (if it is even ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: Cannot get AWE to work in SQL Server 2000 SP3
    ... AWE & Lock pages will reserve that memory so nothing other than SQL Server can touch it anyway. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: Lock resources in Bpool ???
    ... It is a moving value based on a percentage of buffer pool resources. ... Microsoft Sql Server Storage Engine, ... >> Both lock memory and user connection memory come from the buffer pool. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)