Re: Changing Default SQL ports on SQL 2000 Server

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you again for your reply.

I am a bit confused here, as I had the understanding that Named Pipes and
TCP/IP were two different connectivity mechanisms and that if Named Pipes are
used in SQL 2000, the connections will fail if the default port is changed as
Named Pipes in SQL 2000 cannot dynamically determine destination port numbers.

Regards

CM

"JPD" wrote:

Hi,

In your case you need to do nothing on the clients. Named Pipes on the
client will be able to negotiate a connection with the server.

Jonathan

CP wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your response. Can I still do this (creating the TCP/IP based)
if I am using Named Pipes as my connector on the client?

I have read a post somewhere that Named Pipes cannot dynamically determine
destination SQL port numbers in SQL Server 2000.

Regards

CM

"JPD" wrote:

Hi,

Just change the port via the SQL Server Network Utility. On the client
open the Client Network Utility and create a TCP/IP based alias that
dynamically determines the port. The client will then use port 1434 to
determine which port it needs to use. Make sure that your firewall has
both port 1434 and the port the SQL Server instance is listening on open.

Jonathan

CP wrote:
Hi Group,

As part of best practices we would like to change the default port number
that SQL Server 2000 listens on.

Once this has been done, can the application client dynamically determine
the new port number using the SQL Server Reporting Service listening on udp
1434?

Please note that Named Pipes are being used to establish the connections and
that there is a firewall between the SQL Server and the
applications clients.

Regards

CM

.